Help from Harvey? Choosing When To Use ECM or 603...

DougD

Mr Gerst,

Do you have a second?

If you could, please help me in my thinking. I've heard you mention that it would be more appropriate to use the ECM's as OVHD's on occasion, while at other times, the 603's might be better.

Spaced omnis or xy cardiods, what mitigating factors help you determine the choice?

Or do you just stick 'em both up and see?

I thought there might be something in the (sound) color or pattern of the mics that lent itself better or worse to different styles of music, drum kits or rooms...

Any thoughts you can share with the class?

DougD said:
Mr Gerst,

Do you have a second?

If you could, please help me in my thinking. I've heard you mention that it would be more appropriate to use the ECM's as OVHD's on occasion, while at other times, the 603's might be better.

Spaced omnis or xy cardiods, what mitigating factors help you determine the choice?

Or do you just stick 'em both up and see?

I thought there might be something in the (sound) color or pattern of the mics that lent itself better or worse to different styles of music, drum kits or rooms...

Any thoughts you can share with the class?
The ECM8000 (and my Audix TR-40) omnis give me a good deal of clarity whereas the 603S seems a little fuller sounding. If the drummer does a lot of HH/cymbal work, I might use the ECM8000s to bring out that detail, whereas a power drummer might sound better with the Oktavas or the 603s.

I guess I don't have any rule; it just depends how I'm feeling that day, however, BEFORE I decide on what mics to use or where to place them, I'll go into the drum room and just watch the drummer play for a while. I'll take notice of how he/she plays, where they hit the heads, and how even they play. Then, my "auto-pilot" just kinda takes over.

Harvey, a question that may not be answerable, but anywho:

if you could only have one pair for overheads, would YOU rather the ECM's or the 603's?....

if you could only have one pair for overheads and acoustic guitar and a few other misc. things, which one?....

Gidge said:
Harvey, a question that may not be answerable, but anywho:

if you could only have one pair for overheads, would YOU rather the ECM's or the 603's?....

if you could only have one pair for overheads and acoustic guitar and a few other misc. things, which one?....
Wow, that's a hard question. Truth is, I'd probably be happy with either one. It's more a question of which mic is appropriate for a specific task. So both are valuable at different times.

Hey, cool, I was going to ask the 603/8000 question, too, and voila! here it is! OK, but I had specific parameters ...

IN GENERAL, which pair would be better for recording upright piano? SD condenser omnis are the thing for this, right? If not, I guess I'll be starting a thread asking, "What are the best SD condenser cardioids for miking upright piano?"

geekgurl said:
IN GENERAL, which pair would be better for recording upright piano? SD condenser omnis are the thing for this, right? If not, I guess I'll be starting a thread asking, "What are the best SD condenser cardioids for miking upright piano?"
Upright pianos are a bitch to record in the first place, since they generate sound from so many different parts of the piano.

I posted some things to try when recording an upright in another thread somewhere on this bbs. I'd probably go with small cardioids at first, but I might also try an omni in close. The big trick is finding the spot where the sound is full without any of the jangle you pick up from the top of the piano.

Back