Help Fixing Drum Track

EdWonbass

pull the goalie
I kinda painted myself into a corner so to speak. While tracking drums I had this crazy idea that the drummer could use stick clicks during stops to keep time and I could later edit those out. I didn't take into account the cymbal decay. What happens when I process a fade it has to be too sharp and the cymbals don't decay naturally. I guess my question is, can I get around this or am I stuck with fast decaying cymbals? The stick hits are not too bad but I prefer to have them gone.
BTW I'm using Cubase.

fix drums

record the drummer using the overheads doing the same crash hit he does with just the cymbals and then create another two tracks and put it in there as a sample. i do it all the time. i hope youre digital :)

gtrboy said:
record the drummer using the overheads doing the same crash hit he does with just the cymbals and then create another two tracks and put it in there as a sample. i do it all the time. i hope youre digital :)

Thanks, I thought about that but I wasn't sure if it would sound right. Perhaps I will give it a go.

if thier is a cimbal decay at the end of the song, try useing that.

i've toatally made this mistake before, good luck :confused:

giraffe said:
if thier is a cimbal decay at the end of the song, try useing that.

i've toatally made this mistake before, good luck :confused:

Are you saying that I should copy the cymbal crash and put it in place of the part that I have to cut? That's sounds tricky but it just might work.

It's easy to do. Just line up your crashes with the kick drum he invariably hits simultaneously. Rather than add another track I'd carefully cut/paste in into the overheads and crossfade it appropriately (approx 20-50ms cross).

Well...

How long are the stops?

Is it an eigth bar stop that happens frequently?

Or a 6 bar break in the middle of the song (for example).

If its the later, the tips allready posted here should suffice.

If its the first....you could be screwed.

-Finster

TornadoTed said:
I had the exact same problem this week but solved it easily by getting the drummer to re-record the cymbal hits before the breaks.

There is that option. The kick drum we used was mine so I can easily do the hits again. I have a couple of decent cymbals so maybe I will see how that goes. The only problem I see is that the actual sound is a combination of the kick mic, the overhead, snare and whatever is picked up in the tom mics. I am gating the tom mics so really just the other three mics. Not doing it exactly the same might stand out.
I guess I wil try to use the last cymbal crash as my sample and try to replace the ones in question. If my lack of skill screws it up, I will have to go with the recording a new cymbal crash option.

Back