Help finding elec. drum pads (specific ones)

jrhager84

expert newb
I'm looking for a VERY specific pad (more like a head) for my drums. It's basically a pad that goes on your drum itself, kind of like a rubberized mesh material. they go on your drums and you can keep your existing heads (I believe). Any ideas?

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdEgLibE_jQ

Here's the video. thanks guys,

-Joel

What you reference are simply practice pads that sit on the drum head, allowing you to play the drums with less volume (and less tone). The also make the same type of pads to go on cymbals.

These are very standard and would likely be available at any music store (Guitar Center, etc) or through a catalog order from Musicians Friend or any other catalog supplier.

It been a few years since I sold drums - but if I recall they were/are called Sound-Off and I think Remo made/makes them.

It's not quite that simple though. He was playing DKFH sounds on his kit LIVE with these heads... Practice pads don't have triggers, and are made to dampen, so you wouldn't get a very responsive trigger action. Did you watch the video to see what I was talking about?

Hi,

I don't know much about this field, but I think what you are describing doesn't actually exist. If you look closely, the bass drum is not a real "bass drum" with a trigger pad covering it. However, it looks very similar to the rest of the drums - quite shallow, but has the authentic drum shell look.

I'm thinking that they are not "real" drums at all with trigger heads on them - I think they are just trigger drums, no removable trigger heads, but each trigger has been made in a way to look like a drum (if you follow me).

Also, if you listen at the end of the track (when the DFH Superior/Toontrack screen appears), you can hear him playing on the triggers without any output source. If the things he was playing were rubber trigger heads placed on top of real drums, you would still get SOME tone from the drums - you can still distinguish between each drum. Listening to that, it sounds like any normal electronic drum kit - just clicky clicky clicky!

Again I don't know for sure if something like u described exists or not, but I've not seen anything like it before, and from observing the video, it seems that they are just fancy-looking electronic drums, rather than acoustic drums changed into electronic.

I could be wrong! Have you tried posting a message on YouTube? Quite often the posters of the video will reply to you...

Hope this helps,

Steve

Well I do know that what I'm referring to exists. I'm just curious as to what his particular gear was. I sent a message, but haven't gotten any response. Pintech makes Kontrol mesh heads for acoustic drums and you get internal triggers that sit under the head, and you can either play with reg. heads and get a hybrid sound, or mesh heads and get full electric. I guess I'll just have to build from scratch. Thanks for all the help guys,

-Joel

I'm looking for a VERY specific pad (more like a head) for my drums. It's basically a pad that goes on your drum itself, kind of like a rubberized mesh material. they go on your drums and you can keep your existing heads (I believe). Any ideas?

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdEgLibE_jQ

Here's the video. thanks guys,

-Joel

This is from the website of the guy thats playing the drums. It's triggers just like you said. You'll find everything you need to know about converting your "real" drum kit into what he's playing by clicking on the "read full story" to the right of each pic.

http://www.toontrack.com/edrum_for_free.asp

Well I do know that what I'm referring to exists. I'm just curious as to what his particular gear was. I sent a message, but haven't gotten any response. Pintech makes Kontrol mesh heads for acoustic drums and you get internal triggers that sit under the head, and you can either play with reg. heads and get a hybrid sound, or mesh heads and get full electric. I guess I'll just have to build from scratch. Thanks for all the help guys,

-Joel

The kit is a set of Hart Dynamics Professional Series with Roland hi-hat & ride.

The kit is a set of Hart Dynamics Professional Series with Roland hi-hat & ride.

Right you are.

I wonder if I would be able to record drums like this with my Roland or Yamaha Digital drums? If so, I'm going to find me a copy of DKF Superior.

I actually just got a reply from the toontrack youtube member:

they are Hart Dynamics 6.4 Professional drums with Roland cymbals and E-cymbals...

Good call Simman....

Right you are.

I wonder if I would be able to record drums like this with my Roland or Yamaha Digital drums? If so, I'm going to find me a copy of DKF Superior.

Yes you can. I have a set of the studio series of Hart's'and use DFHS with no problems. It still is not as good as playing "real" drums but it is pretty close.

Man, typing on a blackberry does suck!

I actually just got a reply from the toontrack youtube member:

they are Hart Dynamics 6.4 Professional drums with Roland cymbals and E-cymbals...

Good call Simman....

Thanks, sometime I do know a thing or two about a thing or two :D

I turned my REMO practice kit into an electric drum set using Radioshack piezos and coffee can tops. It sure wasn't all that difficult.

Well here's my dilemma:

I want the drums to "feel" as real as possible, but I want the triggering effects to be spot on... I can get triggers made to go inside the shell of my drums for about 160 bucks, mesh heads for another 100-150, and a MIDI module (Maybe the Alesis I/O, but people have had problems. I think I'd go with the rack-mount Dm5 or something. I'd probably get an electronic hi-hat (50 bucks from this guy with everything to mount on acoustic stand for maximum simulation). and eventually get chokable e-cymbals to finish it all off. Know of any i/o controllers (modules are too expensive) that support 16+ inputs? I want kick, snare, 6 toms, hats, and an array of cymbals for maximum diversity.

I really don't mind spending that money on converting my acoustic kit, as long as it doesn't lack the quality that an electric kit would have. I'm not sure how I'd get cross-sticking on my snare with just a dual-zone trigger on my snare....any ideas?

Yes you can. I have a set of the studio series of Hart's'and use DFHS with no problems. It still is not as good as playing "real" drums but it is pretty close.

Man, typing on a blackberry does suck!

So how does this work? Would I just hook my Roland or Yamaha brain up DIRECTLY to my computer via the MIDI ports?

Thanks,
Kramer

Yes... and you'd specify MIDI channels in your DAW correlating to your hits on DKFH.... I'm actually trying to find a module that'll accommodate having 16+ channels. The highest cheaper module I can find is the DM5 that only has 12 inputs. At 6 toms, and tri-triggered snare, kick, and hats, I'm left with very little single, or even dual zone cymbals....*sigh* I'm using 11 out of the 12 channels w/o any cymbals...can you piggyback modules? How do people get 20 billion cymbals and 80 million toms on a single module? Or are they expanding it somehow? I can't seem to find any info on Google about it. Thanks dudes,

-Joel

So how does this work? Would I just hook my Roland or Yamaha brain up DIRECTLY to my computer via the MIDI ports?

Thanks,
Kramer

In a word...Yes that is all there is to it. If your using DFHS, and want to trigger the samples “live”, you should only load the e-drum kit set ups. This doesn’t load all the velocities/gradients of the samples but you rally don’t notice.

I use a Hart Kit with a Roland TD-20 and have triggered DFHS, DFHS C&V, and EZdrummer samples with no problems. I also have Addictive Drums but I’ve not tried to trigger them live yet but I see no reason why they would be different..

Well here's my dilemma:

I want the drums to "feel" as real as possible, but I want the triggering effects to be spot on... I can get triggers made to go inside the shell of my drums for about 160 bucks, mesh heads for another 100-150, and a MIDI module (Maybe the Alesis I/O, but people have had problems. I think I'd go with the rack-mount Dm5 or something. I'd probably get an electronic hi-hat (50 bucks from this guy with everything to mount on acoustic stand for maximum simulation). and eventually get chokable e-cymbals to finish it all off. Know of any i/o controllers (modules are too expensive) that support 16+ inputs? I want kick, snare, 6 toms, hats, and an array of cymbals for maximum diversity.

I really don't mind spending that money on converting my acoustic kit, as long as it doesn't lack the quality that an electric kit would have. I'm not sure how I'd get cross-sticking on my snare with just a dual-zone trigger on my snare....any ideas?

The 16 input requirement is a bit of an issue. I don't know any MIDI I/O controller (or drum brain for that matter) that has that many inputs. I would try 2 of these. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriggerIO/

Ok, so you CAN use 2 modules at the same time? I'm actually going with a DM5 for about 275 through my local GC... I'll end up buying a 2nd one and using one for drums, and one for cymbals... Would 2 modules work well with 1 instance of DKFHS?

Thanks for all the help,

-Joel

Back