HELP! Drums bleeding through to mics!

bigcolyn

hey
i just got an 8 channel digital interface so i can record on my computer now with independant control of 8 simulataneously controlled tracks.
so naturally i want to hook a mic to every drum on the kit.
so i did so, (mind you, using pro mics as well, akg, shure, rode)
but i have the huge problem of for example the hi hats being picked up on the snare mic. i positioned them as best i could.
and i know SOMEONE is gonna say just noise gate each track. but that just eliminates unwanted sounds when the desired ones are not playing. for example nothing will be heard when i dont hit the snare which is great, but when you do hit the snare the gate lets all sound through including the hi hat etc.
and i KNOW there must be some way too completely seperate everything, beccause i have tracks from a professional studio i recorded in before and all the drums have independant sounds.
how do they do it?!!!!!!!!!!!

The only way to completely eliminate bleed is to play the parts individually. Other than that, you're always going to have some bleed. Play with mic position to get the best overall sound you can--don't be so concerned with bleed.

The harder you hit the drums, the less bleed you get.
Sometimes the original sounds are replaced with samples, that would give you no bleed.
There is no way to mic a drum set and have everything isolated totally

wait!!!!!!! thats it thats how he did it! the producer in the studio said he was replacing the snare, kick etc i guess with samples!
i use the same program he does, (sonar 3)
HOW DO I GO ABOUT REPLACING THEM WITH SAMPLES
is there a standard general procedure you can describe??!!
please i really need this ! do i need more software?!

bigcolyn said:
wait!!!!!!! thats it thats how he did it! the producer in the studio said he was replacing the snare, kick etc i guess with samples!
i use the same program he does, (sonar 3)
HOW DO I GO ABOUT REPLACING THEM WITH SAMPLES
is there a standard general procedure you can describe??!!
please i really need this ! do i need more software?!
There is a program called Drumagog which does just that. You can download the demo and try it out.
On a personal level, I like the bleed. It gives the drum a more natural sound. They sound real. I use a drum machine, and you can definitely tell it's a drum machine no matter how much I play with the sound, do I guess I appreciate real drums more. I wouldn't fret too much on the bleed, because when you throw the other instruments in the mix, it's the bleed that will help the drums stand out in the mix... Just my opinion...

k i got drumagog, but are there any FREE samples out there it only comes with like5 not too impressive ones and im not ready to decide to pay $100 just to SEE if i really like it yet. none free?

Do a web search. You should be able to find some. Or ask your friend to burn you a CD with some of his.

well i definately cant find any gog files. there are how ever many drum sample audio files in wav format out there tho im sure many of the were designed with a diff program in mind. will these work with drumagog though or is it sketchy. like i've found .wavs where its just a snare hit somtimes repeated.
these work or no?
by the way fairview your bigkick gog file link doesnt work

I just fixed the link in my previous post. You can use wav files (you have to turn them into gog files inside the program) but 1-hits won't have the advantage of the multi-layered and multi-sampled pre-made gog files. Without that, it will sound like a drum machine being midi triggered.

Back