Help configuring At4040 with DMP3

qb2k5

I have a few simple questions about my set-up.

I recently purchased a brand new AT4040 mic and DMP3 preamp to compliment my new Delta 44 sound card. I read the manuals thoroughly but I'm still not understanding the settings.

On the back of my At4040 mic there are two switches. One is a -10pad switch and the other is a Low-Cut filter switch. I know I'm supposed to turn the pad on and also the low-cut filter on. Now for the DMP3 it also has a Low-Cut filter.

1. Do I turn that on also?

Now when I turn the pad on the back of AT4040 the AT4040 it makes the mic level a lot lower, so that means I have to turn the preamp dial at a 2 o'clock mark in order to get better levels.

2. Is that normal?

On the back of my DMP3 there is an invert switch. I know its used for phasing issues when recording with a stereo mic set-up. I only record on one preamp channel.

3. Do I leave the channel un-inverted(de-pressed) or is it better to have it inverted for a mono channel?

Thanks guys I appreciate your help.

Well, actually you don't have to have any of those switches on or off unless the situation calls for it. Let's go over them a little bit.

If a mic has a -10db pad basically this means that the mic is transmitting sound quieter than it normally would. It's a good idea to use when you're recording something with extreme transients (things that get loud really suddenly sometimes) like a snare, a cymbal, or a guitar cab. The filter switch basically cuts of transmission of anything in the lower frequency range, usually 40-80 Hz.

On the DMP3 (I have two) you have lots of switches. The Low cut doest the same - anything under 75 hz is cut down, the Hi/lo gain switches the pre between a low and hi gain pre - low gain being quieter and hi being louder. Phase is used mostly when you've got two mics in stereo, and when there's one mic being used it likely isn't important for it to be on or off.

Hope I helped.

Jacob

I have the exact same setup as you...4040, DMP3, and Delta 44. I use the -10 cut, but don't roll the lows off on either the mic, nor the pre. I only use mine for vox, and just eq out the lows, if needed. As jkoura mentioned, nothing is required, it's what fits.

Back