Help choosing kick mic.

gdavi1

I am looking for a cheap kick mic but am struggling with the decision.

i've been using a sm57 on the kick and it just isn't working out.

i was looking at the audix f12 for it's 49.99 price but the only thing i'm worried about is "Frequency range: 40Hz -10kHz" most kick mics seem to be down to 30hz.

i was looking at the atm 25 as well but they seem hard to find.

Does anyone have any experience with the f12 or know where i can find a cheap atm 25 other than ebay.

A SM57 would sound better than a cheap kick mic. While I admit that a SM57 is not a kick mic, I have recorded kick with a SM57 in the past and got a great sound from it. Maybe your problem is the mic position, drum tuning, etc. Also during mixing with eq, compression, etc.

I love the AKG D12 and D112 (I have both), I would keep with the SM57 and save for a D112.

There are a 1000 posts regarding your question here, just use the search function.

Cheers

Alan.

I have the F12. I was previously using either a SM57 or a beta 58. I haven't done much tracking yet as I just got new heads and I'm getting everything tuned up and tweaked but so far so good. Miles better than the 57. I also tested it out on a bass cab the other night and was pretty pleased with the results. For 50$ it's worth a shot.

I love the AKG D12 and D112 (I have both), I would keep with the SM57 and save for a D112.

Cheers

Alan.

I agree with both the D12 and D112, they are great mics and are almost universally loved. The thing with the D112 is that it is crucial how you place it in regards to your kick. It provides a good signal no matter where you put it, but it sounds VERY different at different placements. This can be a good thing, because it allows for optimal personal sound without having to resort to EQ,

The ATM 25 has been replaced by the newer ATM250 (the same way that AKG replaced the D12 with the D112). The ATM 25 is my own personal favorite kick mic (It's small, easy to place and is a real trooper). I also find that I use it in other applications including as a voice mic for a shrill singer. I don't know if the ATM250 performs the same or not, but if you can get an old ATM 25, get it. Baring that, if expense is the issue, the AT Pro 25 is a perfectly good mic and served me well. (that's the ATM 25's little budget cousin). I still use my AT Pro 25 as a large floor Tom mic and it is also a trooper.

I have some f10s and f12s.
they suck on kicks....they just don't sound like the drum

kind of flubby

great tom mics though

they pick up the texture of a tom head really well.

go with any or all of the following; d12, d112, re-20, SM7, MD421; U47fet

A SM57 would sound better than a cheap kick mic. While I admit that a SM57 is not a kick mic, I have recorded kick with a SM57 in the past and got a great sound from it. Maybe your problem is the mic position, drum tuning, etc. Also during mixing with eq, compression, etc.

There are a 1000 posts regarding your question here, just use the search function.

Cheers

Alan.

it's not that the sm57 sounds horrible just doesn't have enough low end punch since it is not designed for this application.

I used the search function and that is why i was asking mostly on the f12 as there was lacking information on that subject here and on other sites.

thank you to everyone for the help.

i definitely think it's better to save for a good one--that way you're not looking to upgrade again in a year or so. i've gone through a couple cheapies (cad kbm412 and akg d550) and it would've been less frustrating to just start strong.

d112: it's versatile--you can point it in either direction which gives you different sounds. one way is "poofier," the other is "punchier." good-sounding mic though. it'd be my 2nd choice.

audix d6: it's what i use and love. great for modern attack with plenty of low end. plus it's extremely easy to place.

beta 52: quality kick mic and a go-to for some ppl, but too "poofy" for my liking.

i haven't used any vintage mics, nor have i used the re20 which many people swear by. so i can't speak to that. but any one of these 3 won't disappoint, and there are always deals to be had on ebay. the sound preference just becomes a matter of splitting hairs.

i definitely think it's better to save for a good one--that way you're not looking to upgrade again in a year or so. i've gone through a couple cheapies (cad kbm412 and akg d550) and it would've been less frustrating to just start strong.

d112: it's versatile--you can point it in either direction which gives you different sounds. one way is "poofier," the other is "punchier." good-sounding mic though. it'd be my 2nd choice.

audix d6: it's what i use and love. great for modern attack with plenty of low end. plus it's extremely easy to place.

beta 52: quality kick mic and a go-to for some ppl, but too "poofy" for my liking.

i haven't used any vintage mics, nor have i used the re20 which many people swear by. so i can't speak to that. but any one of these 3 won't disappoint, and there are always deals to be had on ebay. the sound preference just becomes a matter of splitting hairs.

i found a comparison of a d6 vs f14 vs sm57.
and i really like the d6 it sounds like it would fit my needs.
the f14 sounded just as bad as the sm57.

As stated, the D112 is an excellent choice. I happen to use a Shure Beta 52A. Either will capture your kick (and bass cabinets too) quite well.

Fitz

i too have enjoyed my D6. it's the only one that i have experience with for recording although i've used others live.

as has already been said it is very easy to place.

I love my ATM250. I never was fortunate enough to try a 25. My second and only recommendation would be an Audix D6.

I definitely second the pro25. The audix kick mic isnt so bad either, the d6 or whatever. easy to place and sounds fine. If you got the cash, the atm25, d112 or beta 52 is cool.

The 52 and d12/d112 have extremely distinctive sounds that cant be gotten rid of with EQ. Be sure they are what you want if you can afford only one mic

The 52 and d12/d112 have extremely distinctive sounds that cant be gotten rid of with EQ. Be sure they are what you want if you can afford only one mic

All mics have a distinctive sound to some degree, however almost any kick sound can be archived experimenting with mic position (makes a huge difference), kick drum tuning (something some drummers forget about with kick) and different dampening (folded towel, small pillow, damper ring, nothing). Try covering the kick drum with an acoustic blanket to take it out of the overheads as this sometimes tightens the kick sound, correct use of eq and compression, and last but not least, room acoustics.

As I have said, I like the D112 and the D12, but I have used lots of different mics over the years, Shure SM57 & SM58, Sennheiser MD-421, Various condensers, etc etc, and have managed a good sound from all of them.

In the end it all comes down to personal taste.

Cheers

Alan.

I've only used the Beta 52A and the D112 (apart from vocal mics),
I prefer the 52A for its smoother but punchier recordings.

At the same time I have used the 52A as a guitar mic along with other mics which can work really nice when blended together in the mix.

Back