Help choose software and interface

goldie

I need software and an interface for a home studio. My budget is $1000 or less.

Software: Something that can run on both Mac and Windows. I like Protools software because thats what I learned on.

Interface/Pres: Need something with 8 or more pres.
I'm leaning towards the Firepod but not sure what software to use.
If I got ProTools I was looking at the M-audio 1814, but I would need pres on to of that.

Last edited:
I might suggest something like an Alesis 16 Channel Firewire Mixer which has 16 Inputs with 8 Good quality Mic Pre"s and with Firewire and it will show up in your Recording software as 16 seperate Tracks, One for each input on the Mixer...

This way you get the Functionality and features of a Big Mixing Board but you also get 16 seperate Tracks of Recording with 8 Mic Preamps ,It also has a Bunch or 24Bit Effects...
The device Comes with Cubase and costs about $600 which is cheaper than some Interfaces with less Inputs and features and Leaves you about $400 extra to spend on other equipment you might need like some good mics...

You can check it out here:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--ALEMULTIMIX16FW

There are of cource many other interfaces you can get but I thought this one might be a Good one for you....

Cheers

I'm thinking about ProTools M-Powered, M-Audio 1814 and Yamaha 16/4 Mixer. How would the sound compare to the Firepod?

The Firepod is a decent little box (owned one last year). Pre's are decent (not knock your socks off) and are pretty transparent, and I was able to track eight inputs at a time using Sonar on my PC. Too bad you're needing Mac and Windows software - there are some good options out there (Sonar, which is PC only and I feel has come into it's own and maybe Cubase, which I think does both platforms).

I haven't used the M-audio hardware so I won't comment on that.

ADDED: check out the Alesis forum here on the Firewire mixers. Seems that Alesis might not have them 100% rock solid yet.

IS that Alesis mixer pretty good? I hadn't heard of it but now I am reconsidering doing the whole firepod thing because of this alesis module.

Thanks a lot buddy! ha!

I have the MM-8 FW and it works great as an audio interface (8 seperate track recording noless) with all the programs and plug-ins I've tried, and the mixer is decent also. Alesis has resolved the few FW driver issues with the 2.0 update from their website. You can fight with USB and others or get started recording quickly with FW, the choice is yours. JMPO

I suggested the Alesis 16 Track Firewire mixer because I know someone who just got one and so Far he has been extremely happy with it...

It has Good Quality AD/DA Converters and it has the Full Functionality of a Mixer with the added Feature of not needing a Seperate audio Interface to get the audio to your PC....

I suggest that maybe you look into the Alesis Forum Like was allready suggested and see what other owners of this device say about it...For the Most Part all of the Reviews of this device have been very Positive....

Cheers

I have a Tascam US-122 USB that also works great on a more dedicated DAW setup, but the MultiMix unit operates on a normally configured laptop much more reliably. If I only knew then what I know now ;) I have a M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi keyboard that is USB and works great with the ASIO FW audio...another added bonus along with the overall pricepoint of my whole setup.

Peace

if you are after something under $1000.00 take a look at the motu stuff. Their drivers are much more stable than the others I have seen mentioned.

Back