HELP - 24bit / 96khz pops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bahris

A year ago I finally got the 24 bit / 44.1 to function smoothly on my 1.4 GIG / 512mem / 98SE with Delta 44 and Sonar.

Now I try to switch to 96khz = nothing but problems, no matter what settings I change.

Here are the things I've messed with to try to get the sometimes loud-frequent to barely-audible-infrequent pops/clicks to go away:

SONAR
I/O buffer from 64 through 1024
number of buffers from 2 through 16
Latency from Fast through safe (and every stop along the way)
wave profiled a ton (all that changes is the DMA buffer size in... I forget which tab...I think thats all it does)

COMPUTER
Graphics - Hardware Acceleration - all through none
VM - Not allowed Windows to manage Memory (min 1000 max 1000)
Shut down all other uneeded processes while recording.

Delta 44
Tried almost every DMA buffer size

I may have tried a few other things, but thats all I can remember till I get home and check.

Please Help! Someone? Anyone?

Andre

Are you running dual hard drives? Are the hard drives 7200 RPM?

Remember, at 96K you are capturing more than twice as many samples per second as you were at 44.1. It possible your hard drives just can't keep up.

You might also try disabling USB. I believe USB performs scans quite frequently to see if anything new has been connected. If you're not using any USB devices, disable it. If you are using USB devices, but not related to recording, disable it while you are recording and re-enable afterwards.

Thank you for replying,

I have 2 hard drives 1 10gig SCSI and 1 10gig IDE
I believe both are 7200.

Does having 2 harddrives affect it somehow?

I do have some USB devices (USB Midisport, wireless mouse/key)

A techy friend of mine told me there is a limitation in 98SE, in which it only allows you to use so only a small fraction of the memory (no matter how much you put in). There is a fix.
We havent found/done it yet.

Do you think maybe I should set in so that it doesnt use any virtual memory?

Any other info would be useful.

???

Having two hard drives allows you to dedicate one of them for audio. That way you don't have to worry about the read/write to that drive being interrupted by Windows deciding to do some housekeeping while your recording.

I assume you have one of the drives dedicated to your audio?? OS and Sonar go on your main drive, recorded audio goes to your secondary drive. Also, make sure the two drives are on different controllers (although if one is SCSI I guess you have to have it on a separate controller).

Further, being on Win 98 does not allow you to use M-Audio's WDM drivers. Are you at least using the ASIO drivers? Sounds like you aren't if you can change the buffer settings in Sonar. Try switching to the ASIO drivers. That might help as well.

So, the ASIO driver are for SONAR? (I can dowload them from Cakewalks site?)

Where Sonar stores the audio is in a seperate folder.... within sonar which folder(s) should I move to the second drive?

Andre

The ASIO drivers should be included in the drivers you already have for your Delta. You just have to tell Sonar to use them. Options -> Audio -> Advanced -> Driver Mode.

Tell Sonar to store you audio on your secondary drive. Options -> Global -> Audio Data. Leave the Picture Folder on your primary drive. Only audio on the secondary.

dachay2tnr said:
You might also try disabling USB. I believe USB performs scans quite frequently to see if anything new has been connected. If you're not using any USB devices, disable it. If you are using USB devices, but not related to recording, disable it while you are recording and re-enable afterwards.

do you think the USB scanning thing could be responsible for random crashes? cuz sonars been crashin more frequently for me... especially since i connected this new usb gamepad

I wouldn't think so, but try disabling it while you run Sonar and see if there is any difference. You can disable USB directly in Control Panel, so it's pretty easy to check.

Back