helmholtz resonator location

o.k. my buddy came through. he gave 20 , 2x4 1" sheets of 703.
now how should i start the room treatment. random arangement of panels 2" to 4" in thickness , or should i cover the whole room ?

thanks for your suggestions.

Zook,

> random arangement of panels 2" to 4" in thickness , or should i cover the whole room ? <

For each corner take three panels and put them together to make one panel three inches thick, and put that straddling each corner. That's 12 panels. Then put the rest evenly around the room on the walls. If you space them an inch or two away from the walls they'll work even better.

That's the simple answer. If you want to get fancy you could place the eight panels to minimize first reflections off the side and rear walls.

--Ethan

thanks Ethan. i built 2 corner bass traps. 2'X6' and one smaller 2' x 3', using 3" of 703. the resonator is on the ceiling with 3" to 4" varrying amounts of fibre glass and the rest of the room i scattered 2 x 4 panels on a 2" frame so that the fibre glass has a 1" air space. the difference is very noticable. i can finally hear the kick drum. i've had to decrease the bass quite a bit. on the corner traps i have coverd them with some cheap material. should i use 1/4 ply instead, that would be my preference.

thanks again

when i finish the traps i will post a picture.

Zook,

> the difference is very noticable. i can finally hear the kick drum. <

Yes, amazing isn't it! :D

> should i use 1/4 ply instead <

For what? For fiberglass absorbers you should not cover the fronts with plywood.

> when i finish the traps i will post a picture. <

Please do.

--Ethan

yeah - why not?? Most people ignore the ceiling as a treatable surface yet in a small room it's possibly the only area you can get depth without loosing floor space.

cheers
john
John, I'm getting a Helmholtz resonator that 4 x1 foot, I noticed infront of the 1st ceiling cloud when I stand up there's lots of bass, can I mount the Helmholtz resonator on the ceiling before that cloud? There is a space of 2 feet between the wall and ceiling

Attachments

• PXL_20220915_043937766.jpg
    PXL_20220915_043937766.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220915_043903418.jpg
    PXL_20220915_043903418.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Back