Hello...I'm new here, would like feedback

sharonclowe

Hello....I am wondering if anyone has a few spare moments to offer me some feedback/guidance. I have just started the "recording journey" (ha!) and while I do like some parts of what has been recorded, there's still quite a bit of room for improvement. I have two songs on soundclick. They were recorded by two different friends of mine. I played the guitar and then my friends added a little more instrumentation to the tracks. I am hoping to set up my own recording system in my house so I can tinker with things and not feel like I'm inconveniencing anyone. Thank you for any constructive criticism you can offer me.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1112072&content=music

Sharon

Last edited:
Reactions: PDP
No complaints here on either track. The vocals are strong as is the guitar work. Liked the mandolin in the first track too- nice!

Ha Huh...:eek: This is one of the best things I've heard here, great sound, song and performance. The vox maybe pitchy in the last verse IDK. Do you know the Mic, Pre and interface your friends used? Do whatever they did. Really great, I cant find anything, sounds awesome. :)

Silly Frog LOL
Good point.
Be well and welcome to HR.

thanks for the encouragement! PDP....sorry, but I have no idea about the equipment they had. I was thinking I could just use one of the mics I have that we use when we play out live. One of the mics is by SHURE "EV N/D767a" ....the other is by Audix "OM2". I also have a bose tower system thing I could use for the monitors. I'm still reading the book "Home Recording for Dummies" and researching what other stuff might be right for me. I'm comparing the Roland, Yamaha, and Korg studio in a box systems. Then I'll also have to pick the software program.

Finally - Sounds good/Great Tune. I'd tighten up the doubling to get it strong but transparent. Not easy to do - you have to nail the phrasing. I'm a reverb nut so I would like to hear some more reverb but that's not the norm these days. I know you'll enjoy recording at home and look forward to hearing more of your tunes....:D

I'm still reading the book "Home Recording for Dummies" and researching what other stuff might be right for me. I'm comparing the Roland, Yamaha, and Korg studio in a box systems. Then I'll also have to pick the software program.

That sounds like a good start. There's alot of help here, this is a great forum.

:)

about as far away from my general listening as possible, but this is very well done, the mix sounded great and the performances all balanced each other, your friends do your vocals and guitar great justice by filling this song out with some tasteful instrumentation...

slightest of pitch issues on the vocals..but in a world of sterilised shit Id just leave them...all the more character

you and your daughter have quite a bit of talent there...and dont lose those friends either ;)

welcome aboard

Both tracks sound great. Not my thing stylistically necessarily, but very well done to my ears. While I suppose I prefer the tune Finally, it strikes me as a bit dry for such a mellow number. I might've liked more reverb / depth overall.

Hero has a deeper, richer sound, although I find the lower acoustic guitar part a bit too boomy. I liked the use of verb on that track.

Both tunes have fine vocal performances and nice little melodic twists and turns.

thanks for the feedback. I think you're right about Finally being a little dry. And our timing was a little wobbly, lol! I think that was only the 3rd time we ever tried being recorded. As far as "hero" goes, I have another version (without all that other stuff going on)...when I get around to putting it on that soundclick site (since I'm too computer illiterate to figure out how to just put it straight on this site!!) I will let you know and maybe can get your opinion again. It's one where think it may have a little too much reverb. Its sounds OK but I always feel like I've just been injected with some kind of tranquilizer after hearing it! Ha!

I'm almost halfway through the "Home recording for DUMMIES" book...can't wait to get started. I downloaded the free audacity program last night. All I managed to do was completely reverse an entire song! I discovered though, that I'm a much better singer backwards.

Sharon download Reaper its a demo for 30 days and even after then its un-crippled and will do everything you need and more...once you decide you love it the license is around $50...great company, great product

Back