Hello Everyone

HooTstA

Hello Everyone

I have really signed up to see if anyone could help me in directing where to sell an old Itam 806 with some magnetic tapes. First thought is ebay. Previous owner is a famous artist though art/digital artist more so than a music artist if this would make any difference at all.

Little info i have found, is its more a collectors than of real use to anyone today.

Thanks

Graham

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-31 at 12.10.09.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-31 at 12.10.09.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 11
Tapeheads forum might be a good place to start. I sold my revox a77 on the bay pick up only sold real easy. Uk.
ThE fact that it belonged to a famous person would only add value if the buyer thinks it worthy.
Id start at a fair price and see where it goes,maybe put a cap on min sale price.

Hi Graham,

You need to give as much information as you can to guide any prospective buyer.
The less you tell people, the more gun-shy they are going to be about bidding (and rightly so.)

Have you turned it on? If you have, does it smell, does any smoke come out anywhere? I am not kidding.
Played a tape? Rewound? Fast Forward?
Are all the meters lit up when it is turned on?
One of the crucial things is to show close-up, sharp pictures of all the heads on the machine.
Headwear is one of the potential "kisses of death" when it comes to value of a reel-to-reel, as replacing heads can be very expensive.

Electronic gear has what is called "capacitors" in them, and depending on age and model, those things die and need to be replaced.
It used to fall under "regular work" for tape machines, but these days, regular work is expensive, and this machine is not common.

A few cents from me; let us know more.

C.

Last edited:
I have never heard of ITAM as a tape-recorder brand; here are a couple of quotes from other forums. The 8-track 1/2-inch appears to be the one you have.

(Quotes):
"I may be wrong about this but I recall it being the same machine that Soundcraft marketed for a while. It was not considered to be very good. The competing TASCAMS were far more reliable. I doubt you will find any spare parts or support for it today. If it works and you didn't pay much, you scored. If it needs anything other than calibration, you're in for a bumpy ride."

"I know virtually nothing about the 1" ITAM machines, but AFAIK they had a 1/2" 8-track machine on the market in 1973. It was based on a hacked Revox A77 chassis and they turn up on ebay occasionally.
ITA supposedly stood for Industrial Tape Applications, but no-one knows what the M stood for."
(End Quotes)

If the above is remotely true, this then is a bit of a "unicorn machine". It is from England, based on the lettering at the bottom of the channel strips.
Rarity in itself can sell, but it would be better if the thing actually works.

C.

Last edited:
Thanks kip4 for your advice, good idea to put on the bay with a reserve.
Thanks Cosmic for the extra info and advice too, I did turn it on powers up fine, no smoke but thats as far as i went with it. Not really having much knowledge on this thing maybe best for someone who understands these things.

So thanks again i will list this with as much info i can and get some good pics with closeups put it on the bay :)

Graham

Back