hello everyone + big first question

loureed

As the title says, I would 1st of all like to say hello to everyone!! New here... thought this might be the best place.
2ndly, I have to bother you with a very basic question, hope you can help, since it's so elementary...

So I've recorded an audio track with a beginner mic (it is a SHURE SV200, if you're interested) and, you know, it was plugged directly into the computer front mic port, nothing fancy, but the final product is very noisy and I have to be quite close to the mic itself (I'm practically swallowing it, to tell the truth!) and apply a lot of gain later to hear anything... Also, even when applying cubase denoiser to the track there's still a lot of background noise.
So my question is: can both the low signal and the intolerable background noise be caused by the lack of a preamp in my input chain, or is the mic so crappy that even with a good preamp the background noise would still be a major thing? Its like I'm not even sure what a preamp can do... I mean, I know it will amplify my signal but can a good preamp both reduce background noise and allow me to talk and sing a bit further away from the microphone (like I saw many people do) while getting a good signal?

The sv200 is not an earth-shaker of a mike, but it is not likely to be the cause of your problems.

The most likely cause of noise and low levels is the mike input on the computer itself. The first thing you would need to check is your computer's audio settings. There may be a volume control that's pushed right down.

However, if you intend to do a fair bit of recording, and if you want presentable results, you should start looking at an audio interface. This takes the place of your computer's on-board sound and gives you way more control and quality.

The sv200 is not an earth-shaker of a mike, but it is not likely to be the cause of your problems.

The most likely cause of noise and low levels is the mike input on the computer itself. The first thing you would need to check is your computer's audio settings. There may be a volume control that's pushed right down.

However, if you intend to do a fair bit of recording, and if you want presentable results, you should start looking at an audio interface. This takes the place of your computer's on-board sound and gives you way more control and quality.

Thank you!!!
Yes, I do have a fair amount of stuff that's ready to be recorded and, now that I know what it is, an audio interface sound exactly like what I need. It might sound silly but I just didn't know where to start!
So... Now that I know what I need, is there a chance I could get advice on a good audio interface that's also not going to break my wallet? Sort of like a beginner's standard, that you might know of...

What adapter or cable are you using to get the XLR mic to connect to the 3.5mm computer jack? Model/part number of the adapter/cable or link to what you used.

Attached is a quick recording I did to Audacity with a cheap dynamic mic ($25 MF deal of the day) and XLR to 3.5mm cable into the PC mic jack. The computers soundcard software allowed me to give the mic input a 20db boost. Mic was about 4 inches/ 10cm away. The recording was "normalized" after recording to bring the levels up. How does yours compare to this?
Ok... I have an XLR cable, than an XLR to 1/4 adapter, than a 1/4 to 3.5 adapter, than a 3.5 extender leading to my computer. (All parts have no writings of any kind on them, unfortunately, and I didn't save the boxes in which they came in). Now that I think about it....there might be one too many electronic bits going to the computer. Maybe that's what's causing a bit of the noise.
As for the comparing, I'll make one of my own and post it.

Last edited:
Ok, so... I created a couple samples.
- The first one is on-board (soundcard native) preamplification and a fair amount of gain.
- The second one is no on-board preamplification and gain (an option I opted for after a short time experimenting, as on-board preamp seems to take away from the recording)
- The third is no on-board preamplification, gain and heavy DeNoiser. It's the best result so far, but, as you will hear, it's not professional, and it's starting to feel a bit like a glass ceiling.
A) View attachment pcpreamp+gain.mp3
B) View attachment nopcpreamp+gain.mp3
C) View attachment nopcpreamp+gain+DeNoiser.mp3

It gets a bit tricky connecting the mic you have to the computer mic jack. The XLR mic has a "balanced" wiring connection. The computer microphone input is an "unbalanced" wiring connection. Using connectors/adapters that don't match the balanced to an unbalanced could possibly result in low signal and/or noise.
The cable I used is an Hosa XVM-115F which is a simple method to adapt balanced to unbalanced. If you click the diagram in the link you can see how its wired. Your adapters may do this or not.
Yeah, and since I got so many, any of them might be the black sheep. I guess I might have to start all over with this wiring mess.

What gecko zzed suggested regarding an interface is really the way to go if you get more serious into recording. The computer mic input can work OK in some instances for basic recording, but will be more difficult to get the quality that an interface can offer. Nothing wrong in the approach you're taking using what you have available and sometimes the best way to learn is by experimenting.

If do you decide on the interface route, make a post for suggestions and what you think your budget might be. It may be helpful to also know how its going to be used, music/singing or narration of videos/games.

Yes, I'll definitely go the interfece route! I'll soon post to get your suggestions. I'll have to gather a bit of budget information first...
In the meantime I'd like to thank everyone for the help you've given me so far!!!

Yes, I'll definitely go the interfece route! I'll soon post to get your suggestions. I'll have to gather a bit of budget information first...
In the meantime I'd like to thank everyone for the help you've given me so far!!!

Ok Lou, yes, let us know what you want to do but if you are the only one playing/singing there is little advantage in an AI with more than two mic/line inputs at this stage.

Where in the world are you BTW?

Dave.

Ok Lou, yes, let us know what you want to do but if you are the only one playing/singing there is little advantage in an AI with more than two mic/line inputs at this stage.

Where in the world are you BTW?

Dave.

Oh yeah, I'm the only one singing! It would be nice to record guitar and voice at the same time, but that's two mics so it's pretty much out of my budget for now...
And... speaking of budget, I got all I could find, and the final figure I can count on is 330 $
That's not much at all I know...
But if you have something in mind around that figure, feel free to write it down!!
As for where I'm from, I live in Italy at the moment, but both my parents are american and I plan to finish my studies in the US, I think...
BTW, does it make any difference between talking/narrating and singing, gear/hardware-wise?

Alesis iO2 Express - 24-Bit USB Recording Interface: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

I have one of those, bought second hand £40 and I am quite impressed. I have yet to do some serious tests with it but will if it interests you?

Speech recording demands a very low noise system. In fact you would be hard pressed with even the best of interfaces to get a low enough noise level with a dynamic mic and this is why I always advise those new to the game to consider a Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) mic since they have a sensitivity some 10-15dB higher than dynamics and thus AI pre amp noise does not intrude.

Mind you! Most of us find it hard to find a PLACE and time bloody quiet enough!

You have 330 bucks in Italy?? Did you mean euros?

Dave.

Nice little two channel interface will work fine for you and can be had for well within your budget. Presonus makes a nice little interface, USB AudioBox ($99 on Amazon), what I like about it is it gets all of its power from the computer(laptop if you are on the move).

There are many more and you should see a list from people on the board. But about $150 or less you have a pretty wide selection. I have the USB AudioBox and it is a capable interface. I ise it for my main listening interface and use it for mobile recording when I want something lighter than my TASCAM setup.

Nice little two channel interface will work fine for you and can be had for well within your budget. Presonus makes a nice little interface, USB AudioBox ($99 on Amazon), what I like about it is it gets all of its power from the computer(laptop if you are on the move).

There are many more and you should see a list from people on the board. But about $150 or less you have a pretty wide selection. I have the USB AudioBox and it is a capable interface. I ise it for my main listening interface and use it for mobile recording when I want something lighter than my TASCAM setup.

Bummer, I'm gonna have to buy a different microphone for narration entirely. That might have to wait a bit of time, since I already wanted to buy a Shure SM57 for singing.
That makes me wonder whether the SM57 is the best choice I could be making as a versatile mic upgrade.
In any case, yes, the Alesis seems to have pretty much all I could be looking for (for now at least).
It's funny though, I thought AIs costed a lot more! Guess I'm gonna have a lot less problems cash wise.
Yes, noisy environment it's a big thing form me. My brother owns a damn parrot!!!
Anyways, I really meant euros! That's because I have about 300 euros, but I made a quick conversion on google to make it easier on you all! (though 30 Euros doesn't make such a big difference)

Ok, that's a great feature. I could definitely use something that gets all of its power from the computer. Quite handy.

Bummer, I'm gonna have to buy a different microphone for narration entirely. That might have to wait a bit of time, since I already wanted to buy a Shure SM57 for singing.
That makes me wonder whether the SM57 is the best choice I could be making as a versatile mic upgrade.
In any case, yes, the Alesis seems to have pretty much all I could be looking for (for now at least).
It's funny though, I thought AIs costed a lot more! Guess I'm gonna have a lot less problems cash wise.
Yes, noisy environment it's a big thing form me. My brother owns a damn parrot!!!
Anyways, I really meant euros! That's because I have about 300 euros, but I made a quick conversion on google to make it easier on you all! (though 30 Euros doesn't make such a big difference)

As I said, there is probably no more versatile mic than the SDC, get one with a pad if possible than you can use it for close waffle work. (you will need some bass cut in the software to kill the proximity effect of bass boost)

I have a couple of AKG Perception 150s now the P170, has a 20dB pad. I know Bobbsy favours an SE SDC. You are looking £70/100 euros for those but there is always the Behringer C1 which is said to be far better than one would think.

Hey! Don't make things easier for the Yanks! They got it easy enough already!

Dave.

If you want to record in 24 bit, for 144dB of headroom, then you need to validate that your internal soundcard can lay down at that bit depth and sample rate - otherwise you must go with an ext AI, or record at 16b with like 56dB of headroom only. More headroom seems to equate to getting your audio signal further away from your noise. As the effex-perts here, have recently taught this noob (please correct me if I am wrong).

Living in the USA is the shiz-nizzle - but that don't make it easy. 'Cause wherever you go, there you are.

As I said, there is probably no more versatile mic than the SDC, get one with a pad if possible than you can use it for close waffle work. (you will need some bass cut in the software to kill the proximity effect of bass boost)

I have a couple of AKG Perception 150s now the P170, has a 20dB pad. I know Bobbsy favours an SE SDC. You are looking £70/100 euros for those but there is always the Behringer C1 which is said to be far better than one would think.

Hey! Don't make things easier for the Yanks! They got it easy enough already!

Dave.

Wow, SDCs... never looked into those!! I've just read a couple things and I'm already excited. It seems then that the SM57 might not be the sole nor the best mic upgrade at this point.
Anyways, it looks like I might be able to squeeze in both the 100 euros for the new mic and the money for the AI and still have something left! Great!

Yes, the Yanks got it quite easy, if I do say so myself! Let us never forget that eheh..
On that note, however, as an adopted european, I'd say anglophone countries fare much better in general. But maybe that's just silly. I really wouldn't know...

If you want to record in 24 bit, for 144dB of headroom, then you need to validate that your internal soundcard can lay down at that bit depth and sample rate - otherwise you must go with an ext AI, or record at 16b with like 56dB of headroom only. More headroom seems to equate to getting your audio signal further away from your noise. As the effex-perts here, have recently taught this noob (please correct me if I am wrong).

Living in the USA is the shiz-nizzle - but that don't make it easy. 'Cause wherever you go, there you are.

Yeah, no, I really wouldn't trust my on-board soundcard with anything. Definitely going AI at this point!

Ahah, quite a true saying! I guess it puts an end to this debate then..

Last edited:
jus joking about the US guys! I am a gun nut so I would love to live in certain parts of it.
The hobby is just too expensive and too much hassle with Plod to follow over here and of course handguns are gone!

I do wish tho' that they did not lock up so much of their population!

Dave.

Back