Hello and a question from a new guy

bamboo

Hi peeps,

I'm a new kid on the block with lots of stupid questions.
Here goes:

I have 2 audio cards: Audiophile and SBLive (connected via SPDIF to be able to use soundfonts), PIV 1.6, 512 Mb RAM.
I run Sonar 2 under Win2k. The SBLive driver is not activated. Everything works fine.
My question is about softsynth recording:
In Sonar I have only 3 options for audio track input: HW In, S/PDIF In and Mon.mixer. I can play softsynths OK and see the activity in the Audiophile's mixer (WavOut section). However, I can only record a softsynth when I select Mon.mixer as an input, which means that all other tracks are recorded as well. Am I making sense?

All suggestions will be appreciated.
TIA

bamboo,

> My question is about softsynth recording: In Sonar I have only 3 options for audio track input <

Is there a reason you want to record the soft-synth outputs as audio tracks? The normal way to use a soft-synth is to feed its input from a MIDI track, and send its output to an audio output buss. This way the sounds are created by the synth in real time as you play the song. If you record a soft-synth as a Wave file, you're just eating up hard disk space with no real benefit.

--Ethan

Thanks for the prompt reply Ethan,

I agree, this approach is preferable in most cases. My question may sound academic, but I presumed that in addition to mixer output I should be able to record signals coming from each individual mixer section. I can record all hardware sources but not software. Is this is a fundamental limitation of Sonar or Delta drivers or PC architecture in general? Or am I missing something basic here?

TIA

bamboo,

> I can record all hardware sources but not software. <

You can record a soft-synth as an audio track if you'd like. I did that only once, and it was by accident. :) As I recall, all I did was arm for recording the audio track that hosts the soft-synth, and then click Record. The MIDI track played the soft-synth, and Sonar captured the soft-synth's output on the same audio track it was plugged in on. You may have to mute all tracks except the two for the soft-synth, though it would seem that isn't necessary. Try it and let me know what happens.

--Ethan

I'm new here too. Hello ;)

The reason you can only record the synth from Mon Mix is that it's just that. I carries whatever signal is being played out of the Delta card provided out1/2 is selected in the Delta Panel patchbay and it's out1/2 is the output Main associated with the synths audio track.
But this should also work if you select out3/4 (the s/pdif on an Audiophile). This will free up the analog i/o provided you mute the analog 1/2 in the Monitor mixer. That is, it should only record the soft synth.

I don't use a soft synths and I suppose you want to play it live as you record, but even then it would be better to record the midi until later. Then you can make an audio track while the synth is soloed.

thanks guys

@Ethan
I tried what you suggested. With DXi's this gives me a zero-level recording (in fact, a very low-level signal comes through, probably due to some sort of leaking) and with VSTi (I use DirectiXer 2.1) the track arming button is greyed out. As for muting other tracks, that's exactly what I try to avoid.

@Jim
Hmm, I don't quite understand your idea but I'll try to fiddle with the outs tonight, thanks anyway.

Last edited:
No, I wasn't too clear.
I was assuming you use the AP s/pdif in to carry soundfont playback from the SBLive digital out, in which case you probably aren't using the AP s/pdif out for anything.
So, my suggestion is to select the S/pdif out for the DXi and record it onto another track using Monitor Mixer as the input. In the Delta control panel and patch bay you can arrange just the s/pdif out to be the Monitor mix feed that you will be recording.
You ought to be able to have other tracks playing and be able to hear everything out of the AP analog out and provided the soft synth is the only track feeding the AP s/pdif out, then that is all that you will record. You will only hear the DXi if you have Sonars record monitoring enabled selected to the AP analog output.
In effect, you would be using the s/pdif out - monitor mix path as a send & return loop without the signal actually leaving the AP card.
I note that the latest M-audio Delta series drivers install the control panel into the taskbar system tray, which is handy + don't forget you can save as many panel settings as you like.

Back