Hello all! Just getting back into home recording.

harmoncollege

Just wanted to say 'hello'.

In the late 90's, I put together a decent home studio that was completely hardware based with high hopes of becoming a big-beat, breakbeat, drum-n-bass producer/artist. Then I met a girl...got married...had kids...sold all my equipment...kicked myself for selling my equipment...and here we are 8 years later. :)

Not that I have the time to devote to it, but I'm trying to get back in the game...even if it is nothing more than a hobby.

I've slowly collected some gear over the past couple years when I got lucky on some ebay auctions. I like what I have, but I need to figure out the most efficient way to hook it all up together. I've got a Roland MV8800, Roland MC 307, Korg EA-1, Yamaha KX49 midi keyboard, and then a PreSonus Audiobox with Studio One. The Audiobox and Studio One seem to be working well in the 30 minutes I've played with it, and it recognized my KX49. I want to be able to play around with the hardware and sequence some of it on the MV8800, then record it into Studio One. That's probably weird, but if anyone has ideas on how I should rout it all, I'm all ears. I was trying to go mixerless, but I guess I might need a small one.

We'll see how it goes. This will be a slow process for me, as I have a full-time job, an internet sports publication, and my family that all come first. So my passion for electronic music takes a back seat.

I'm glad I found this forum and am looking forward to learning a lot.

There are probably a few ways to connect/rout everyting...depending on your working style and goals.
Since you are mostly talking about keyboards and MIDI...try the Keyboard and MIDI forums a down below.

You might want to get a small MIDI patchbay, if you are looking to have all the keyboards/modules run by a sequencer or single controller. And AFA the audio I/O...if you can't simply patch as you go from the back...maybe a audio patchbay would also work for you.

Thanks for the reply and info! It's been so long, I really don't know how I want to work. I'm sure that will come to me as I start messing around with things. I'm used to working with hardware, but I like the ease of software, so I want to figure out a way to mesh the two with what I have. It will be interesting.

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Of course, in the mean-time you can always just hook up one at a time to Studio One. A bit slow perhaps, but also cheap!

Thanks, that's probably what I'll do for a while. I'm a novice, so until I get a handle on things, I probably shouldn't dump too much more money into it.

Back