Hello all, im new here but i have a new song that needs some judgement!

What does this song need besides vocals?

• different drums?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • better lead gtr?

• synths?

• Total voters

puscookie

I would appreciate any feedback. With your help this song could be great

k, we got the fourth revision with the plate reverb on the snare, with +3db at 2000hz on snare Q3 with and the begining fixed. more bass and drums. Thanks everyone!!
now hard panned, for extra pleasure. its got some balls now!

do you think the bass and drums are too loud?
thats my only thought. thanks!
I do think the snare stands out more. Tho mabey leaning towords "papery"?

Attachments

• The Curse6 hard panned with 3db at 2100hz on snare with Q of 3.mp3
    6.5 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
It's such a shame this doesn't have a vocal as the music is fantastic - are you planning to add a vocal? I think the snare sound could be improved a bit. You could try putting a short but loud reverb on it to make it sound a bit "bigger". Overall I think the mix is pretty good though. Maybe the bass guitar is a bit quiet. The guitar tones are nice, particularly the solo at the end.

philwilks, Thanks for your reply! I think the snare idea you have is great. I will definitly try that! I have allready done a mix (after i posted this one lol) with more bass. Great ideas and ill try the snare idea really soon.

The song is definitly needing vocals. We cant seem to find anyone around Green Bay that can sing. Yeah it sucks, Know anyone? haha
Thanks again!

Sounds like the very beginning has been clipped off to me? Maybe just needs a second before the instruments start playing.

Regarding the snare sound... actually I think the mp3 compression isn't doing you any favours and i agree that it needs a carefully chosen bit of reverb wrapped around it.
I think the cymbals have also suffered from the compression as they sound kind of filtered and a bit distant.

As it stands, I would say that the guitars are generally a little stronger than the drums. Maybe you could bring up the kit a bit, or maybe have a little more of the overheads or something?

It might just be my ears, and at the risk of sounding horribly audiophile-ish .... would it be possible to have a higher bit-rate mp3? Might just help be certain on the snare/cymbals.

advice taken. more bass,drums and snare reverb

Sounds like the very beginning has been clipped off to me? Maybe just needs a second before the instruments start playing.

Regarding the snare sound... actually I think the mp3 compression isn't doing you any favours and i agree that it needs a carefully chosen bit of reverb wrapped around it.
I think the cymbals have also suffered from the compression as they sound kind of filtered and a bit distant.

As it stands, I would say that the guitars are generally a little stronger than the drums. Maybe you could bring up the kit a bit, or maybe have a little more of the overheads or something?
It might just be my ears, and at the risk of sounding horribly audiophile-ish .... would it be possible to have a higher bit-rate mp3? Might just help be certain on the snare/cymbals.

all done! check it out i have mixed in more bass and added the snare reverb, also added more overall drums

Think the drums stand up better now, you can hear much more of the nice little fills and stuff.
I'd kind of expected the ride and hi-hat to be much wider in the image, they're more central. Are the overheads hard L/R or can they go a bit wider? Just the toms sound wider than the cymbals do which is odd.

Snare definitely sounds better, I personally like more of a plate kind of sounding reverb on snares, but guess that might not be what you're going for.

The start still sounds clipped.

Definitely getting there!!

I have the OHds paned 30-30 i know what you mean tho. its a pretty fixed image. i wanted the guitar effects to stand out more. Ha, the Toms. your right on that too.

now the overheads are hard panned with the plate reverb on the snare and more drum sub and bass sub.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Anyone care to give this another listen? I think it sounds pretty good! Thanks for everyones help. I would just like you guys to take another listen because i might have missed something?

do you think the bass and drums are too loud?
I do think the snare stands out more. Tho mabey leaning towords "papery"?

Sorry to take the left hand path here but IMO vocals are the top priority, therefore I wouldnt spend that much time on mixing (or at least have a rough vocal take going) because a vocal track could change the way everything comes through i.e. is the vocal a baritone, tenor, alto ? are there alot of back-ups/harmonies.

Anyway, overall sounds very good, but hard to answer mix details without a vocal. Welcome to HR.

Sorry to take the left hand path here but IMO vocals are the top priority, therefore I wouldnt spend that much time on mixing (or at least have a rough vocal take going) because a vocal track could change the way everything comes through i.e. is the vocal a baritone, tenor, alto ? are there alot of back-ups/harmonies.

Anyway, overall sounds very good, but hard to answer mix details without a vocal. Welcome to HR.

I do respect your opinion. I have mixed many songs with vocals and definitly agree with you. But at the moment i am trying to attract vocalists with this song. So it is kinda a catch 22 or something. And on the other side of the fence its just practice, so its not really about time. Anyway thanks for your input. I appreciate any feedback.

Back