Hell March : Second Attempt!

P-J

Rank Amateur
Hi all.

I posted recently a recording of the classic C & C : Red Alert song that I did. I've received quite a bit of feedback and have redone the entire thing from scratch using the tips that I've been given.

The drums were originally punched in on the first recording but I've now layed down a live performance through a sampler (Battery) so they sound a touch more human.

Comments much appreciated, this is only my second mix :)

The mix is here :

The original performance to compare it to is here :

Comparisons between the two would also be most useful, thanks :)

P-J said:
Hi all.

I posted recently a recording of the classic C & C : Red Alert song that I did. I've received quite a bit of feedback and have redone the entire thing from scratch using the tips that I've been given.

The drums were originally punched in on the first recording but I've now layed down a live performance through a sampler (Battery) so they sound a touch more human.

Comments much appreciated, this is only my second mix :)

The mix is here :

The original performance to compare it to is here :

Comparisons between the two would also be most useful, thanks :)
Hmmm....perhaps I'm intoxicated, but I think I actually like the guitar tone in the first (the former/original) one better...
What'd you use?

A couple of people have said that to me. The first time was just plonking the microphone down and recording, the second recording I actually moved it around to get the tone I liked...

Funny that ;]

I'm using SM57 and a line-in, maybe the balance is not so good. The settings/pedals are the same as the first, just with a little less gain on the distortion.

No, no, no! The tone on the new version is clearly better. The old version sounded too harsh, although it has more presence to it. So maybe with some processing (adding compression... perhaps) then it will sound more punchy. But I'm not really sure how necessary it is.. One thing that might work well is Ozone 3 over the rhythms set to the "tape saturation (ozone 3)" setting. Just don't overdo it with additional processing cause it's quite pleasant sounding. The palm muted parts could maybe use some more harmonic overtones. Don't let these other people discourage you. I think your instincts were right and you just need to tweak it a little more. Maybe they were also biased because the old version was more "complete".

I should also add that this new version sounds more reminiscent of the real song by Frank. The bass seems to sit better in the mix too.

Thanks for the comments Mistral.

I recorded mainly with your comment in mind about the guitars being way too 'in your face'. I listened to my recording after about three days of abstinence and I could see exactly what you meant. I love extreme metal guitars as much as the next guy but that was too much and I had to turn it off.

I don't know why the bass sits better, it just 'does' for some reason. Although I've been studying EQ a lot recently and ripping 250hz - 400hz out of the rhythm guitars seems to have not affected them at all yet opened up a whole new 'place' in the mix that I never though I had, maybe that's part of it.

This mix hasn't got anything on it yet really, the only effects are the ones that Battery has applied to the drums by default, but I will definitely try a smidge of compression on the guitars. I try to avoid using Ozone (I uninstalled it) since it encourages me a little to much and I end up overusing it, but now I've been off it for a bit I'll have another go in moderation :)

While you're on Mistral, I'm a little concerned that the lead guitar (in lieu of a more fitting description) stands out a little in the mix as if it's from another planet. Backing it off just muddies it-- Do you have any good suggestions on how to fold it into the mix better, or do you think it sounds okay?

Once again thanks everyone for the feedback and tips :)

Well, I think it's just a matter of finding a better volume balance between the rhythms and the lead.. and I know what you're probably gonna say, but careful rolling off of certain frequencies can do wonders so don't be afraid to add an EQ to help tame things. But I'd try to work things out with the rhythms first and see if that solves the lead issue.

Hmm both guitar tones were pretty good. I think the newer one definetely sits better in the mix though. I liek this alot, no nits whatsoever, well done.

Back