Heavy tune using Sonar 3, dr008, and DFH, advice?

notreally

This is a heavy, grinding instrumental. I used Sonar 3 Studio Edition, fxpansion dr008 loaded with DFH samples. I played a Charvel Traditional w/Duncans into a Bogner Uberschall. The cab is a little 1x12 with some kind of Celestion in it, don't know which one. It was miked with a 57 and a 421. I've already been told that some of the drums are panned to far to the right, and I agree 100%. It can probably use more bass also........I just used a normal 3 piece computer speaker system to monitor everything.

I'm looking for advice on how to make things better, particularly mixing techniques that give instruments more "space". I'm new at this, be nice.

Go to www.switchrocks.com

....and click on "Bunnies".

There are two other songs on there as well, but both sound poor in many respects, I think I'm making some progress. Thanks.

Sounds strange for a Bogner... Phase problem between the two mics prehaps?

Diggin' the riffs...

Yeah, the drum panning is way out there... The "space" factor really isn't bad - I think you could pan the guitars out a bit, but for the most part, I think it only sounds "small" because of the overpanning on the drums and the jumpy verb.

Of course, you're REALLY going to have to pay attention to phase problems if you pan the guitars out more...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Back