HEARING IMPAIRMENT / Studio Monitor EQ adjustment.

Akaiguy

Hi Home Recording. Its good to be back.
I am hoping there may be some suggestions as to what I may be able to at least try, to audibly " regain " some kind of comfortable audible balance in regards my studio monitor setup. Left vs right ( facing the front of the monitors.)
About 8 years ago I experienced Low Sensorinuel Hearing Loss to my right hearing, losing to about 4db of my natural bass frequency in my right hearing - quite audibly noticeable. Headphone damage.
Tinnutus as a side effect, which comes and goes.
Thats about as best I can describe it. To make matters worse, recently my right hearing has further degraded, and a visit to my Audiologist will only bring the bad news. There is nothing that can be done medically / surgically for my condition. Nevertheless, I continue with my recording work and daily repertoire practice using my studio monitors to play my backing tracks. I also play with a Jazz quartet - guitar vocs.
In my studio everything is sounding horribly thin and harsh, through my right Alesis M1 MK2 active studio monitor, which faces my right side effected hearing.
Consequently there is an audible conflict left to right monitor.
I have an old Boss Graphic EQ foot pedal.
I'm wondering if it it might be possible to connect this Graphic EQ pedal up to my right monitor, thereby making it possible for me to tweak the highs and mids down, and raise the bass frequencies up.
Could be a lame attempt, ask a silly question, but should somehow this might be a tryable option, I'm wondering what lead goes where ( amp and instrument inputs on the side of the pedal, in / out, to the monitor. )
I've also looked into EQ adjustable studio monitors. Beringher do MS40 monitors with EQ adjust on the front of the monitor. Yes, these are entry level monitors, but as I would only be using them for playback
of my backing tracks for my daily repertoire practice, might this also be an option ? More expensive though it might be at $250.

cheers, all , any thoughts and suggests would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Both ears hear both speakers, especially at low frequencies. If you try to eq one side it will be audible to the opposite ear. You would have to use headphones to eq left and right differently and retain that separation. Your best bet is to live with the left-right imbalance and try to eq it more generally.

In any case a stomp box eq isn't likely to work well as it's made for guitar, not line level. But you could give it a go. The connector marked "instrument" is the input and the one marked "amp" is the output. Out from your playback system to "instrument", out from "amp" to the active speaker.

Maybe if you set your monitors further apart - making you prime listening spot further away from them, the sound will balance out.

Back