(Hear me) Roar

mcmd

Hi everyone,

Here’s another rock guitar instrumental for critique. The tune started off very different and morphed into this one – working title is: ‘(hear me) Roar’!

First, the mix level is very low. The recorded peak waveform on the tracks was good, but I had to pull down the faders during the mix, because I was slamming over 0db. Now the final mix waveform is very small. How do I correct that?

The bass guitar pops out every now and then….I prefer to pluck the strings with my fingers ( I don’t like a pick)….any ideas…my bass recordings are always unpredictable and the results are rarely pleasing. I think that I bury the bass to ‘hide’ the problem?

The drums are canned, but any advice on improving them is welcome – levels, eq, effects, structure?

I am surprised at how bad the overdrive rhythm backing guitars sound. I didn’t go crazy with the overdrive setting. I ‘think’ that I just overpowered the small recording room. Also, my wife removed all the rugs from the hardwood floor, so the room acoustics are now ‘worse’ than before – bright and full of reverbbbbb.

The lead guitar parts are better than I have done before – are the levels too high? Most were recorded in a larger irregular room. I didn’t drive the amp level much more than the rhythm guitars, but I think that the larger room is the 'trick'. There are 3 lead guitar solos, - you hear ‘em as I played them – no real ‘money’ notes and yes somewhat repetitive, but I am pleased with the ‘sound’ that I got.

Now if I can only start to improve the ‘other’ areas…

Here’s the link: ‘(Hear me) Roar’

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1944&alid=-1

Thanks for listening,

Dara

Nice playing. I like the combination of the clean arpeggios over the fuzzy lines. The sonorities fit with one another well IMO. Seems to be a slight tuning difference between the parts. Maybe the arpeggios could be a dB lower.

...the mix level is very low. The recorded peak waveform on the tracks was good, but I had to pull down the faders during the mix, because I was slamming over 0db. Now the final mix waveform is very small. How do I correct that?...
No big deal, just raise the gain of the file. Or better yet, do another mixdown with the levels set so your highest peak is just under 0 dBfs.

Back