Heads Up! Extreme Isolation Headphones

Dot

Extreme Isolation Headphones

Awarded 5 Dots •••••

I review a lot of gear and this new Swiss-made product stands out from the pack as one that delivers a no-compromise solution to a common problem in audio work; Keeping loud external sound out of the headphones – and keeping headphone sound from bleeding to mics.

I received a pair of EX-29 Extreme Isolation Headphones for review from Direct Sound. At $169, and worth it – these babies mean serious business. [ Currently on sale for $139 at their website ] I've had them on in the studio while cutting drum tracks, and also used them to double-check panning and imagery on a mix. I was able to put these phones on and not hear the main monitor mix in the room.

These phones are painstakingly well thought-out. For travel, they fold up neatly and into a surprisingly small package. For easy and quick identification of L and R, the inside of the right phone is red, while the inside of the left phone is black.

The sound is solid – tight – old school. Nothing hyped – just sonically pleasurable and smooth. I don't care for the overly-hyped high-end on a lot of Sony headphones, and I've been using AKG K141's almost exclusively for years. EIH may very well become another main pair in my audio work. I find that just listening to MP3's on my computer I'm re-exploring new dimesions in the music. The imagery and spacial depth are superb. Listening to Coldplay's track Parachute with EIH exposes subtle nuances of the creaking piano bench and pedals.

Listening to CD's and MP3's through them for hours at a stretch causes no ear fatigue and surpringly little to no discomfort. EIH are quite comfortable considering the extreme design needed to deliver an impressive reduction of 29db. With a low impedance of 32 ohms, almost any source will provide enough power to drive these phones adequately.

An interesting experiment is to listen at a good level, and then take them off and push the two phone pads together. What is heard – even with the phones less than 6" away – is nothing. Zilch.

One very important aspect afforded by the excellent isolation are the lower decible monitoring levels possible to achieve the same effective hearing levels commonly used with conventional headphones. What that means in plain language is that you can use EIH with much less risk of hearing damage.

This type of headphone is perfect for use in the field for live sound, DJ's and A/V production work and location film work, and while I never recommend headphones for music mixing, I would recommend these for use while cleaning up tracks and editing audio. Computer-based audio editing systems are so popular and many people have them in less than perfectly-controlled rooms.With EIH gone are distracting background traffic noises, computer fan noise and general ambient noise in the atmosphere that detracts from critical listening. EIH also offers a great alternative for project studio owners who may have less than stellar monitoring conditions for tracking.

The cord is nice and light and more pliable than many other makes. For as much thought as Direct Sound obviously put into these phones, I initially didn't like the fact that a cord runs down from each phone joining together in a Y-shape. But, on further use, and wearing them with the cord behind the head as suggested by Direct Sound, I find the Y cord to be better balanced – and miraculously, the cord stays completely clear of arm movements while playing an instrument or working at a computer.

I highly recommend Extreme Isolation Headphones. If you are a professional or serious hobbiest who works with audio on any level, you need to add these headphones to your toolbox and explore the myriad of applications EIH will allow over conventional headphones.

sounds like a sales pitch in pretty much everyway. But i'll check them out because they sound promising. You selling these or do you just really like them?

I actually really like these. I can't think of one thing about them that's not great. I developed the review from a post at the VS Planet. It'll be up at Digital Pro Sound this next week.

Maybe it does sound like a sale pitch. I'm a writer and these are great headphones. I want people to buy them.

------------
Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound

Yo DOT . . . :]

Well, since I'm a retired English Composition teacher, I found your report on the cans convincing and truthful.

So, I ordered a pair today. If they are not what you say they are, I'll send them to Blue Bear.

I have been finding my Beyer 770 cans to be bass prone and boomy -- the 250 Beyer cans are better; I have both sets.

So, I'll evaluate the Extreme Isolation Cans when I get them next week.

I wish someone like you would write a manual for the Yamaha 2816!! I'd do it but I don't want to work that hard anymore.

Green Hornet :D :cool:

"Eliminates surrounding sounds by up to 29 db. making it possible to record "LIVE" drums next to the mixer board in a one room project studio (by using two sets of headphones)."

?

Does this mean you have to put two sets on, or the drummer has a set as well?

Yo Emeric:

I don't do live bands in my studio; I just kind of work with strange female singers -- odds and ends.

But, it's nice to hear from you. Still remember your gift of your music for a friend sponsoring a cancer golf tournament.

She is still kicking but not as active as a few years ago.

Many thanks again.

Green Hornet:D :cool: :cool:

Dot, as someone who writes professionally as part of his job, I can tell you that IMO your writing is clear and concise, flows logically, and is interesting to read. Like most of us, you need to watch your use of punctuation. That's why I always keep a copy of E.B White's The Elements of Style nearby--to help me minimize my mistakes.

Bottom line: I enjoy reading your stuff.

Webster Groves, Missouri is pretty close to me and Track. I might have to try a pair out. At least if I have a problem, they're right across the river.

I guess they come with the cheezy label on the phone cup? Nothing a little epoxy refinish can't fix.

mixmkr said:
what's in Webster Groves?? I grew up there.
Well the only things I can think of is the KDO WX Radio tower, KDNL TV30 tower and my ex-sister-in-law works as a verternarian at an animal clinic.

Oh, and they make headphones there.

Yo Dot:

Have posted you an E-mail. Your English composition if fine. When one gets the period in the right place, it's not difficult to learn the "other" aspects of quality composition, like Unity and Coherence and Specificity.

It's too bad that there is a trend once again in higher education to eliminate in-depth communictions skills. Places like Dartmouth still require aggressive composition study -- alas, many colleges in my area, my own included, have been swayed by the $$$ and certain academic philosophies that produce students at the MBA level who cannot write a 500 word report.

Happy New Year to ALL>

Green Hornet:D :D :cool: :cool:

Yo Dot:

I almost forgot.

The Extreme cans are all right. They are a bit tight but maybe they will loosen up a bit with use.

However, my Beyer 250 cans have better sound.

My Beyer 770 cans are pretty good but sound a little boomy once in a while -- could be certain recordings/effects, etc.

Felice Navidad
y Prospero anno

[can't get that little squiggly line over the "n."]

Green Hornet

Yo, Hornet o' the Green, go into your Control Panel settings and select "Keyboard". You can load many different languages that include the specific peculularities of a given alphabet.

Problem is, I haven't found a key for these to use with the keyboard. The German alphabet and umlat keys I've about memorized.

Yo Senn:

Thanks for the info. But, I prefer to stay simple and avoid taxing brain situations; I save those when I turn on my 2816 and learn something new.

Have a Merry Season and a great New Year.

Green Hornet :D :p :cool:

i tried a pair of "EXTREME ISOLATION HEADPHONES" at my local "Biggie-Sized" music store today. oh the irony. it felt like i was clamping a bear-trap over my noggin'. they were (seriously) squeezing my skull. i kept hearing that "KIDS IN THE HALL" character's voice in the back of my mind saying "I'm CRUSHING YOUR HEAD....crush, crush, crush....". they DID sound pretty good, though. AND,...they DID isolate alot of extemporaneous noise. IN FACT,..i couldn't hear the sales associate saying "HEY,..could you get off that machine now?? Somebody else wants to try it,...ALLRIGHT??":) i find it hard to replace my old Sony MDR-V6's, however (even though the rubber around the ear-pieces has deteriorated and i was forced to put a couple of women's stockings over them to keep them from "shedding" all over my ears and shirt when i use them).:D :D

Yo Yo Ma, Greenish Person (in the "yellow jacket"):

hopefully the spirit of "Christmas Present"
will grace your holiday morning with fun-loving groupies who love sofa-beds and Wonka Bars. heh heh.:D :D

Back