headphones

kid_nova

I have a TASCAM MF-P01 4-track portastudio. Up until recently, I've been only recording guitar and haven't really felt a need for headphones. Now I want to do stuff with a mic, so I am wondering what suggestions you might have for headphones.
The MF-P01 has a 1/4" jack for the headphones, and the owner's manual says not to use headphones that have a mono jack. Would something from radio shack serve my purpose? I'm willing to pay a little for quality, but I don't want to go anywhere over $300.

Thanks in advance

Im using a set of Sony MDR's that are padded nicely and comfortable. Keeps the noise in too so the mic does'nt pick it up. I think I spent around 120.00 on sale.

Another option

I bought the AKG K-240DF headphones. It's really just a matter of personal preference, what's comfortable, what sounds good to you.

I'm not familiar with the Tascam MF-P01 and after looking at details on it, I can't tell if it has a heaphone amp. When you buy the heaphones, check to see what the impedance spec is on them. The AKG's that I have are 2x600ohm and require a headphone amp to drive them. Plugging into a regular jack, is nearly inaudible.

Dick

AKG 240's

Hate to sound like a broken record on this, but I find these to be superior to the Sony's in just about every conceivable aspect.

Mine are 20 years old and have never given me any trouble. They sound clear, flat and true.
I've worn these for clips of up to 8 hours without fatigue or discomfort.

Carl

I got a great deal on some cordless cans, which have proven invaluable for recording via mic across the room in the last couple of weeks. I'm not as concerned with quality as I am with getting away from the freakin' equipment (although I am impressed with the sound - Sennheiser RS-30's).
:D
mike

Ditto on the Sony MDR 7506s.

I think the AKG 240's have an "open" design, which is likely to result in more headphone bleed than a sealed design (probably OK for engineering, but not so good for recording). The AKG's also are much harder to get a decent volume level out of than the Sony's due to the impedence.

Back