Headphones

Donny

I can't swing a set of good monitors so can I use a good set of headphones for mastering? Thanks, Donny!!!

OK!!

Okay Bruce I though as much. Guess I'll just have to save more change. At the rate I'm going I will get them next summer..HA, HA!!! Later, Donny!!!

Yo Donny-Brook:

Bruce is right; however, HERE IT COMES YA-ALL, when you get a set of cans/headphones, try the BEYER 250'S. They are very good; with practice you can mix down using them; however, they sound so good that you won't get that sound unless you take them off and follow the directions of Bruce and your monitors, no matter what they are.

You don't see Beyer headsets advertised too much; they are made in Germany and are precision. I have six sets of cans in my studio; however, I always use the Beyer cans; one for my singer/ one set for me the master engineer.

[Hey Dragon....maybe that can be my next title?

MASTER ENGINEER? Whatever.

Green Hornet

The Green Hornet - maybe "Walking Beyer 250 Advertisement" is a more suitable title :D

As is always the case in headphone threads I'll suggest Sony MDR7506's, The Green Hornet suggests the 250's and we do nothing but confuse the hell out of the person asking the question ;)

Answer: If you want some headphones, go listen to a a few and see what YOU like best! We'll give you some ideas as to what we like but until you hear things for yourself you can't really make a judgement.

MDR7506

I'll give a thumbs up on these headphones...they sound amazing. Speaking of headphones, since I'm the "engineer" of my studio, I really only need one good pair of headphones, and the rest of the band (while tracking) don't need such an expensive pair of headphones do they? I was just thinking...why would they need to buy $99 headphones when they're not looking for precision, they just need to hear what's going on. Anyone else use this method in their studio? I suppose if I do get a cheapo pair, I just gotta make sure they cover the ears totally so sound doesn't leak out..

A de facto standard tracking headphone is the Fostex T20.... (around $100) - I've got four of 'em.... and AT910s and Beyer 770s for myself.... also have Sennheiser 414s floating around somewhere....

Bruce

Ahh! $100, I think you missed the part where I wondered why I'd spend $200 on 2 sets of headphones for the bass player and drummer when they're not listening for precision or setting levels/eqs/what not.

Well actually, I didn't miss that part - I was just pointing out that the $100 mark is pretty much the going rate for what are considered "tracking" cans.... if the talent lets you get away with Radio Shack walkman headphones for $20 hey...!!! ;)

Seriously though, there are reasons for not cheaping out - usually the talent needs to hear something musically pleasing in their cans to draw out their performance. Also, you usually want phones that provide some acoustic isolation from other sounds/instruments in the studio, and to minimize headphone bleed (especially while tracking vocals). $20 headphones just won't cut it in that case...

Bruce

I can BEYER-ly take any more of this!

Forget the BEYER necessities.
Why grin and BEYER it, when you can have a real set of headphones?
Try the MDR7506's, and make every day a Sony day. ;)

Back