Headphones in Delta 44

ModalMike

hey,

Sometimes I use my headphones to moniter/mix recordings in the wee hours of the morning. I can only get one side of the recording however. I know it is a stereo mix so my question is, what do I need to be able to mix through the headphones in stereo? A Y connector plugged into two outputs in the Delta 44? Right now I am using the 3rd output (my moniters occupy 1 & 2). Or is there another way?
Thanks in Advance...
Mike
BTW I am using Sonar 2.0 if it matters...

Just to be sure you realize it, each output of the Delta is a mono output.

Headphones plugged in there will of course only give you one side. The level is probably inadequate too.

The simplest thing is to hook it to a stereo receiver; better yet, get a mixer.

I agree with Moskus about the Beri 4600HA.

And I agree with AlChuck about the mixer.

You can get a mixer from Behringer for $50-$100.

The mixer is great if all you ever need is one (maybe two with adapter) set of headphones at a time. If you need multiple sets of "cans" at once, get both!

I just radioshacked with my cheap ass.
Bought (two) rca female to 1/4 phono adapter (one goes to out 3, the other to out 4)
Then a dual rca male to 1/4 stereo female

then plug my headphones into that.

It works, and it does what I need and does it fine.
And it's also really annoying tracking and only hearing on one side of the headphones.

I'm all for the $7 radio shack solution.

Is it loud enough without any sort of external amplifier? Direct out of the sound card?

ambi said:
Is it loud enough without any sort of external amplifier? Direct out of the sound card?

Yes.
My singer can even hear fine with on top of that an additional headphone extension cable (20 feet)

Here's our exact chain for headphone monitoring/rough mix with headphones (no monitors yet)

Delta 44 out 1&2
1 rca female to 1/4 phono in output 1
1 rca female to 1/4 phono in output 2
a dual rca male mono to single stereo female 1/4
a single stereo 1/4 male to dual 1/4 stereo female
1/8 to 1/4 stereo adapter into each of the last adaptors female inputs.
Then my headphones plug in.
My singer has ontop of that a 20 ft ext. cable

and after all that:
It's loud enough direct out of the outputs of the Delta 44 we use.
No amplification between it all.

Thanks for posting!

Well, that solved a problem I was going to have before I even knew I was going to have it.

Great forum!

Using AKG K-44 series phones
Use them for tracking, and what little mixing I can do.
Then I test my songs on other systems until I can get some monitors, gotta do what you gotta do.

I know a bunch of adapters is not the preferred or best way to solve this issue. But I can do a job that working for me for $7 or less via-radio shack. And money wise be closer to those monitors/

Or I can go spend $50-$100 for a headphone amp that can merge two mono signals to stereo and be further away from the monitors.

I mean, with the set-up I have now with the headphones coming from all thoe adapters it's if I have the volumes ALL the way up in the delta control panel even too loud most the time.

Back