Headphones for tracking

Robus

What closed back headphones are you using for tracking? My old Sony set is getting worn out. Primary considerations are:

1. Good isolation. This is really important, because I need to keep the headset volume low to protect what is left of my hearing. I don't even attempt to record loud amps in the same room where I'm monitoring, as nothing can defeat those sound pressure levels. But other sources like acoustic guitar and vocals I want to hear in the headphones at modest volume, and not through them.

2. Durability. I need something that will hold up to daily use for years.

3. Heavy duty coiled cable.

4. Suitable detail for light mixing duties. I like to use a headset for blending vocals.

Let's say $300 ballpark, might go a bit higher for the right set.

I've been using the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for a few years now, love 'em. They come in a few different varieties, I own the 80ohm version. Great crisp highs, nice mids, bass loud and clear. Super comfortable. They go for around $200, and totally worth it. I'm actually on my second pair, as the first pair I bought about 5 years ago, the left channel suddenly went out. Went and bought my second pair, low and behold the old ones worked perfectly a few days later when I tried them just for the hell of it. So now I have two pairs. The cable is not coiled though, not sure how important that is to you.

If you're looking to spend a little more, Beyerdynamic has a nice variety of higher end versions. Check out their website.

You are more than welcome to drop by anytime and try mine for yourself, since you live close.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks. Coiled cord is essential. Otherwise I would be jerking out the plug or pulling things over constantly.

For most stuff (synths/keys/drum programming, kazoo & vocals) the Audio Technica M50x my wife got me for Christmas but I still prefer to track my acoustic wearing my old DT100's... They've got mojo.

Have to say I too love DT100s. They're not the best sounding or the lightest, but they're rarely 'wrong'. And they don't fall off, can have whatever cable you like (I cannot stand coiled!) and seal extremely well.

If you do have damaged hearing I'd seriously consider in ears with moulds. I play live and as I have got older my tolerance of loud stage sound has really gone. In-ears really help. I'm not that reliable so started with some Shure 215s and found their tone and bass response worked, so I now have a few pairs, and got one set in proper ear moulds which are very comfy, and have a decent seal. In-ears are out of favour, trend wise, but even in the soft seal versions might be worth trying before you decide, if somebody will share ear wax with you?

Thanks. Coiled cord is essential. Otherwise I would be jerking out the plug or pulling things over constantly.

I find the opposite.

I find a coiled cable is heavy and acts like a spring - it really increases the weight of the headphones and does not allow much movement before it pulls on the headphones and pulls you back like a spring - I find a coiled cable horrible.

A 3m straight cable allows plenty of movement and is normally long enough that you don't pull it out. A coiled cable, although nominally 3m, is coiled down to about 1m / 1.5m and does restrict movement.

I find the opposite.

I find a coiled cable is heavy and acts like a spring - it really increases the weight of the headphones and does not allow much movement before it pulls on the headphones and pulls you back like a spring - I find a coiled cable horrible.

A 3m straight cable allows plenty of movement and is normally long enough that you don't pull it out. A coiled cable, although nominally 3m, is coiled down to about 1m / 1.5m and does restrict movement.

Man I agree that coiled cords suck. They do add weight and restrict usable cord length in my opinion. It's the only drawback the HD280's have......which are very good for tracking.

Back