Headphones for Studio Vocalist use?

bsutton

Looking for good headphones for the vocalist to use. Currently I am doing a lot of close micing for vocals, which is fine except that I get a certain amount of sound picked up from the phones. Short of having the vocalist clamp the ear cups hard against hisr head, is there a good set of phones that would do the following:

- be exceptionally quiet outside the ear cups
- (preferably) have built in volume control for each side, so that someone wanting that single-sided thing could turn off the other speaker
- be fairly inexpensive, as I need a few of them to record a band.

BillS

billS: I had the same "bleed-through" problem when I used open or semi-open type headphones. Supposedly the advantage of this type of design is a more spacious sound feild. I then got a pair of Yamaha RH2B closed (sometimes referred to as sealed) headphones - cheap! - about $20 in most of the national catalogs. They sound plenty good enough for monitoring while dubbing and have pretty much solved the bleed-through problem, as long as I don't send a really loud signal to the headphones. Other affordable choices that may have better sound include AKG K55 (on sale at American Music Supply, www.americanmusical.com), or Yamaha RH3. I believe that most of these are available on-line or in just about all the major catalogs. The only way I know of to restrict sound to one side on inexpensive headphones is to pan the tracks you're listening to all the way to one side or the other at the mixer or multitrack channel.

Hey Hey Sutton:

Didn't I mention to you elsewhere in this site about the Beyer 250 headphones which run about 131 US dollars?

Great phones, nice field of sound.

Haven't seen any phones with volume controls for each side; but, they might make like ONE PHONE for one ear; I think I've seen those somewhere. That might help you out with the problema.

Have to run; Kato is calling for help.

Green Hornet

Hey Sutton:

Just read the other day that Beyer does make a ONE EAR SET of phones. Check with Full Compass or your favorite dealer.

Green Hornet

Back