headphones for monitoring and mixing?

kaminari13

I´m looking for some really decent headphones for mixing(i know its not acceptable in some schools of thought) and for playback/overdubs so they have to be closed and capable of brutal volumes .any suggestions?

Brutal volumes are not good for your ears.

I use Sony MDR-V150 headphones ($20, Wal-Mart) for roughing in a mix, and then polish it with the monitors.

Yeah, that bit about brutal volumes sends up some red flags for me. You can do some serious damage to yours ears in a hurry with headphones. I'm assuming if it's for playback/overdubs that you might need the level for drummers or something like that?

I use ATH-M40fs headphones and like them. They aren't that expensive.

Pete Townsend attributes his hearing loss to headphones in the studio more than stage volumes. He said he just kept turning them up and up.

Who'd've thunk it?

my suggestion: akg 240s

seriously, be careful, you don't want to end up like rush limbaugh (that fat, deaf, drug addeled piece of crap)

giraffe said:
my suggestion: akg 240s

seriously, be careful, you don't want to end up like rush limbaugh (that fat, deaf, drug addeled piece of crap)
An odd aside- one side effect of those powerful pain pills is the deafness that he experienced.

Oh, and he's not that fat anymore.

apl said:
An odd aside- one side effect of those powerful pain pills is the deafness that he experienced.

Oh, and he's not that fat anymore.

i was under the impression that the deafness was from the phones,
but i guess if that was true it wouldn't have come on so fast.

Mixing on headphones is a horrible idea, besides seriously risking your hearing you aren't going to get an accurate mix from them. Every once in a while I'll check some sounds thru the phones but nothing major just little stuff. If you're going to buy some new ones though the audio technica's mentioned earlier the ath-m40s are really good, I have 5 pair, one did crap out on me but the other 4 still kick ass.

Back