Headphone Monitoring

MX3282

Can someone tell me how I can get a good headphone mix so that I can listen to the soundtrack and the vocal at the same time?

I use an MX3282 Behri with an Aardvark Pro Q10 audio Interface. My monitoring is done through a Technics Receiver out to a pair of house speakers.

I have a headphones out on the mixer, on the Q10 Audio interface and also the Technics receiver.

Mixer headphones and Q10 headphones jacks only give me the vocals I'm recording. the Receiver will play the sound track only.

How can I get a mix so that I can hear both?

Run the output from the Q10 into a couple of channels on your mixer, then run the mixer outs to your receiver. Basically everything should run through your mixer and use the headphone outs from it.

Ok, here's what I did....

I tried the method you mentioned....didn't work to good.

So what I did was I plugged the Technics Headphone jack into an input on the Q10. There, I could hear the soundtrack nicely, the vocals nicely (with applied effects) and I was able to control them independantly. Sound track control by the Technics Receiver volume control, and the Vocal track by a combination of mixer and Q10 headphones volume control.

When I used to plug the receiver into the mixer, it would somehow bleed into the vocal track I was trying to record.

I've been recording a couple of rap singers and I wanted to give them a better headphone mix. Now, I got one.

Thanks for offering the advice. I appreciate it!

On my Q10, I use Channel 1 & 2 through left and right on my dbx 166xl compressor/limiter. Both are hooked into Sub-group Out 1 & 2 from my mixer. I have my Yamaha Rev100 hooked into my Aux 1. I don't run through my EQ because it's an Old one and I'm hoping to replace it. For now I just Eq on the comp.

My 4 space Rack

Space 1. Dual 15 Band Audio Centron
Space 2. Yamaha Rev 100 multi-effects
Space 3. dbx 166XL Compressor Limiter
Space 4. Aardvark pro Q10 8 Channel Audio Interface

My Receiver

Technics SA-DX950

My Speakers

2 Merak MT66's dual 6" speakers and 1" tweeter

Well, that's pretty much it for what's actually hooked up. My Second Rack will probably house some Nice Pre-amps and more compressors. till then I gotta make due with my few outboards and my plugg-ins.

George

Last edited:
On my 1010lt I have channels one and two as the main output AS WELL as the "monitor mixer."
I don't know anything about the q10 but you may not have it physically (or software-ly) set to monitor while recording.

Back