Headphone Amps

LaurenceConway

Hello and welcome to my post on headphone amps! :)

I am planning to get myself some Sennheiser HD650 headphones and am wondering how the specs of my Tascam US 2000 headphone out slot fairs up to these headphones.

The Tascam headphone spec is:

PHONES jack
Connector: 6.3 mm (1/4”) Standard Stereo phone jack Maximum output level:
100 mW + 100 mW or more (THD + N less than 1%, 32Ω load)

is that crap? or fantact?:) (i.e do i need to get my self a headphone amp...?)

thank you very much for your help

Laurence

Turns out the ebay item is legit, is the ebay page of recommended retailer from the Burson website.

I have no idea. I'm curious why you would want to pair a 700 pound headphone amp with a 500 dollar set of headphones fed by audio recorded with a 300 dollar interface? I'm not being sarcastic, just really curious about the use case here.

Chuck, no sarcasm interpreted. Reasons being; From the online reading i have done, i have head numerous times that the HD650s improve an awful lot given the quality of the amp and that that Burson HA-160DS headphone amp in particular is a real don at bringing out the potential of the HD650s. the HA-160DS has a USB port own so i'll be connecting that straight to my comp (not through the US2000)

sound okay?

Turns out the ebay item is legit, is the ebay page of recommended retailer from the Burson website.

Chuck, no sarcasm interpreted. Reasons being; From the online reading i have done, i have head numerous times that the HD650s improve an awful lot given the quality of the amp and that that Burson HA-160DS headphone amp in particular is a real don at bringing out the potential of the HD650s. the HA-160DS has a USB port own so i'll be connecting that straight to my comp (not through the US2000)

sound okay?

Oh - this is all several levels above my pay grade :-) I wasn't familiar with the headphone model, and found them listed on a site as a bargain for high quality cans. They sat somewhere in the middle of cans that ranged in cost up to 2K. They offered DACS pairing that ranged from $800 to $2000. I wasn't even aware that such things existed. I have a pair of AKG-240s through a furman amp, but I don't use them for critical listening - just when recording vocals, guitars and the like and for spot checking levels occasionally when mixing. I'll stop rambling as I actually can't help with your decision, just curious as to the purpose :-)

Oh - this is all several levels above my pay grade :-) I wasn't familiar with the headphone model, and found them listed on a site as a bargain for high quality cans. They sat somewhere in the middle of cans that ranged in cost up to 2K. They offered DACS pairing that ranged from $800 to $2000. I wasn't even aware that such things existed. I have a pair of AKG-240s through a furman amp, but I don't use them for critical listening - just when recording vocals, guitars and the like and for spot checking levels occasionally when mixing. I'll stop rambling as I actually can't help with your decision, just curious as to the purpose :-)

Ah right i see where your curiosity stems from then! i am going to be using the HA-160DS-HD650 combo as my main referencing route and will be mixing mainly on these for the time being. As, i decided, after weighing up the negative inevitable frequency bias found in my very acoustically 'un-desireable' room that i would be better off getting a good set of headphones and headphone amp that i can get to know well as opposed to the ever changing sonic characteristics of different rooms that i seem to be finding myself flitting about within.

Back