Headphone Amps - whats out there?

timvdwest

Hey everybody

I just recently tested a Behringer headphone amp the 8 channel HA8000 or something. It was cool but a bit too big for my set-up.

So.. I asked the store to get in the smaller model, the Miniamp AMP800 - which is a 4 channel output (stereo) and 2 channel input (stereo).

The thing is, I've never been a behringer fan, but its a good deal.

I was just wondering if there wasn't maybe something similar, that wasn't behringer?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Tim

What are you going to use it for? For monitoring during tracking I use an SMPro HP6. It's not the quietest thing in the world, but it's got 4-stereo ins and headphone outs and it's clean enough for its purpose, but it's also a full rack space... if you want something smaller it's baby brother the HP4v might work well for you.

I hear the PreSonus HP4 is supposed to be quite nice, although it only has one stereo input.

If it's just for yourself (you only need one output) and it's quality that your after. There are a ton of small, high-quality, single-in-single-out headphone amps out there too (one of my favorites is the C&C Box)

I've had a 4 channel Behringer for a couple of years and it works fine for tracking. It's skewed for mixing however. Complete lack of upper midrange makes EQing a pointless effort. I had it in the mixing rack but moved it out to the tracking room (garage) and no one has complained. The sound is adequate for this purpose.

If you just need a headphone feed for mixing, you might look into the M-patch 2 stereo monitor control. Completely passive so it sounds good, controls your monitors and provides a very good headphone feed for mixing. $149.

You could also build a CMOY head amp, I recently made a 2 Output CMOY hed amp and it was pretty easy and only cost maybe $20 in Parts and a day of building it and put it inside an old CD Drive chassis...Sounds awesome!!

Cheers

Thanks guys. It will be used mainly for tracking and for our bands speaker-less practices. It seems that maybe the behringer is the right choice - it is really cheap and I won't be needing to do anything to demanding on it.

Thanks!

The Behringer's don't get loud enough and the sound quality is noticeably worse then better amps. The Furman stuff is the best. I haven't tried the Presonus though.

behringer miniamp

I used one of those behringer miniamp 800s at a mate's place, location recording drums. Seemed loud enough and reasonable quality. He uses it all the time, and he is a drummer so must be loud enough for him
He has had it for about a year, so it is doing alright in terms of some behringer gear
long

Back