Head worn mic for home recording

charliefreak100

Hi all

New member, but hoping for some advice. I record educational videos in my basement at home. I have been using an SM-57 (running through a focusrite preamp into a laptop) with good (enough) results. The difficulty is I can't get close enough to the mic (because of the limitations of the video recording), so I have to ramp up the preamp to max, and I introduce noise. (In tests, I'm much happier with the SM-57 when I can get really close to it, but that's just not possible for my recording purposes).

I was thinking of switching to some kind of head worn / headset microphone, again running wired through the focusrite to my laptop. I hope that by having more consistent positioning of my mouth relative to the mic I might get better and more consistent quality.

My budget is about $200. I've looked at the Shure WH20XLR and Shure WH30.

Any thoughts/ideas.

Thanks very much

Why not use a shotgun mic.headworn will make rubbing noises and bumps.
What about a lavilier mic (lapel) both are classic broadcast type mics.
IMO you'd have to have a much bigger budget for a good enough headworn and even then I still don't think you will get the qaulity your after.
Consider the options

Thanks for the response. Will a shotgun mic pick me up clearly from a distance without background/room noise? More so than the SM-57 I'm currently using? I know I could definitely spend more, but I'm wondering if I can improve on my SM57 for about $200.

I'd definitely be interested in switching to a lav mic. I assumed headset mics were marginally better for the money (and I don't need to worry about the appearance), but if you think I can do better with a lav that's great. I saw this on the b&h website which is well-reviewed:

Audio-Technica AT899

Any thoughts on this model for voice-only recording purposes?

Thanks

A lav mic might be a better solution. I don't own the AT mic so I wouldn't be able to comment but I can tell you they make some great products(not affiliated).
Do some research on what broadcasters, film makers use.
Bear in mind connectivity. You might be able to directly to the cam.
Shotgun mics have a very narrow polar pattern designed to pick up from a distance and some run on battery's (electrets). Senhieser do some good ones.
Have you got a vendor where you can go and trial some?
Rich

Typically shotguns will display less proximity effect too than an SM57 close up.
Look into mic frequency response graphs too.wiki is your friend.
I really hope you find a suitable product.

Typically shotguns will display less proximity effect too than an SM57 close up.
Look into mic frequency response graphs too.wiki is your friend.
I really hope you find a suitable product.

I would think, having done video some time back, most would record vocals live and then come back and re-record sound as part of post and then mix them together in a video editor. Or another alternative is, run sound in through another process and match them up on video mixing. Seems these would give you more options and could improve you sound on the video. Another option, is export your sound and run it through a DAW for cleanup and render and put it back in.

I have a hard time believing a straight shot in is done very often at the semi to pro level.

If you are having problems with gain, especially with dynamic mics,
think instead of getting a Cloud Cloudlifter ($149) or Triton Audio Fethead ($100).

These units use phantom power (which is not passed onto the mic btw) to give
you an extra 20-25db of clean gain. Very useful for dynamic and ribbon mics.

Thanks for all the responses. Something like the cloud cloudlifter might be what I need. I also will try a lav mic.

I don't appear in the videos (only my hands do) but I have to sync the voiceover to the action, so it's hard to record the voiceover later. (Also the workflow for this would make the project non-cost-effective). I do currently record a separate voice track and combine in post, as the on-board preamps on the camera are no good.

Also, even though I'm not on camera, it sounds like a shotgun mic might help with isolating room noise.

I will pop into b&h next time I'm in NYC and try some stuff out!

Thanks for all the advice.

If you are having problems with gain, especially with dynamic mics,
think instead of getting a Cloud Cloudlifter ($149) or Triton Audio Fethead ($100).

These units use phantom power (which is not passed onto the mic btw) to give
you an extra 20-25db of clean gain. Very useful for dynamic and ribbon mics.

+1 on the Cloudlifter. The Fethead is poorly made, doesn't have matched JFETS and my buddie's picked up a local radio station due to it not being shielded

Back