Head/tuning change

bubbagump

I have a Star Classic Maple kit and for years I have played basic rock and jazz... some country with them. I have always used plain old coated single ply heads and they sound great... However, I have a new project now which is much more tom heavy (lots of ride patterns on the toms... very prog rock) and I need something with more defined attack as tom rolls get lost in the drum's resonance. Suggestions?

We've recently had good success with Attack 2 ply heads on toms. Before that we were tried Acquarian Studio X coated, but they didn't last very long. Wonder why...

Anyway, I also agree with MadAudio = pinstripes are a usually a good choice.

I'm thinking 2 ply may be what you're looking for.

I would likely try either Evans G2 or Remo Pinstripes

I have some Pinstripes laying around... I'll give em a go. Haven't touched them in years... Clear G2s were my first thought so if PS don't work, I'll try them (or Emperor clears). I tried the Evans EC2 coated and it was the same problem as single ply coated... perhaps I just want more high end and need to forget about coated heads.

SCREW the pinstripes. I am not great fan of reamo but give the A Vintage heads a try, they're 2 ply - one thick and one thin. Anything with a ring around it tends to reduce tone quality, along with resonance.

SCREW the pinstripes. I am not great fan of reamo but give the A Vintage heads a try, they're 2 ply - one thick and one thin. Anything with a ring around it tends to reduce tone quality, along with resonance.

i'm with him. (sort of)

thinner heads are more of a pain to tune, but i like single ply clear heads.
they just have more attack.

i'm a bigger fan of evans then of remo, ymmv.

Back