HD24 vrs other HDR's

wilkee, I do not mix in the computer. I put edited tracks back in the HD24 and mix through an analog console. It sounds much better to my ears.

Wilke,

Like Track Rat, I mix down analog... so I edit tracks and place them back on the HD24 so that I can still use my high end compressors, f/x etc.

I like to be able to push faders up and down by hand... or reach up and crank an EQ knob etc. I know that they make control surfaces for all the latest and greatest software... but I used all of that stuff at one time and much prefer and actual board.

(Now don't get me wrong... if someone wants to donate their Neve console with flying fader automation, I'd gladly store it for them ;-))

Velvet Elvis

Track Rat Elvis

I get enough of "yanking the knobs" when I do FOH mixing etc I've just got lazy and use the comp.

Tony

I used to yank the knob a lot when I was younger. I have my girlfriend do that kind of thing for me now.:D

Wilkee...

Yep... but just ask Q... when you get married
and your wifey starts to ignore you... it just means
more time in the studio....

ahhhh the electric mistress :)

Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis said:
Which emagic software is it?

Velvet Elvis

LOGIC.

Yo Velv Elv, I played hooky from work today intent on creating some free-form, old-skool, funk jams! Now mind u, I had fallen into a musical rut! Could'nt come up with no musical ideas and the songs I did come up with just sounded like my prev'ly rec'd crap! I had Total Musician's Block, which also prevented me from exploring the HD's overall capabilities! Frustrated and Aggravated,
I took a hiatus (again to be with fam and do some home repairs!)
Still lacking in the creativity department for fresh & new musical ideas and ignoring my HenryD24, I turned to the one artist that gives me inspiration......THE GODFATHER OF SOUL..JAMES BROWN!!!:D (plus a 6-pack of Heinekens) and mannnn, I was rollin'2-nite! Wrote and recorded 4 songs in less than 12 hours
and learned some neat new tricks on the HD (which I can't re-call
rite now as I am....errrr...SLIGHTLY EXUBERANT!:p ) When, I'm back to normal, I'm gonna' post a few "DIDJA" KNOW U CAN DO THIS/THAT ON THE HD!!??:eek: :) :p .

Later Gator!

Track Rat said:
wilkee, I do not mix in the computer. I put edited tracks back in the HD24 and mix through an analog console. It sounds much better to my ears.
I second that!!!

And I'm considering joining the ranks of HD24 owners too now...........

For those using them with existing ADATs, how are you chaining them?

I want to use it with the BRC, but the HD24 manual suggests chaining an ADAT before the HD24.... this seems silly to me because that means you constantly have to run a tape in that unit for the BRC to operate?!?!

I'm guessing that if I want to use the ADATs for archival purposes then it's ok to chain them behind the HD24.....

Any comments?

Bruce, the BRC got retired in my set up. The main reason is it wanted to be the clock and I felt it was better to have the GenX drive the HD24 directly from its word clock input rather than daisey chaining thru the BRC. Plus, where I mounted in in relation to where I sit, the BRC was redundent. The way I'm set up the included LRC is more than handy. I just have the BRC bundled up with the ols ADATs in a mobile rig I'm putting together.
As far as making transfers from the ADATs into the system, ah, there's the rub. It's cave man technology at present and the search is on for a Lightpipe patch bay. Now I just repatch lightpipe at the MOTU. A large pain in the ass.

Well... I just wired my new HD24 into the recording rack........................!

This should be cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Track....... get yourself the Z-Sys OptiPatch -- it's flawless - no jitter, no digital hash, no more re-patching digital connectors! Well worth it..........

At first, the HD24 was pretty cool at the studio. Using the FTP to transfer was at least reliable.

But..........................

1 - FTP is slow slow slow!!!

2 - The HD 24 cannot used "media optimized" .wav files, so when you edit in certain programs that only spit out media optimized files, you have to open all those tracks in yet another program and do a Save As and remove the extra header info from them before the transfer back to the HD24 will work. This is a very big pain in the ass.

3 - The Tascam unit comes stock with more interface options. In a heavy duty production environment, it is clearly the best choice of the HD units out there because you can "hot swap" the drives with the computer. That is indeed very cool as it saves on transfer times.

The best work around for the file share problems with the HD24 is probably to use the light pipe in's hooked up to a light pipe out from your computer and just record via the digital inputs the tracks coming back. While the HD 24 will handle all 24 tracks recording at once easily, a lot of computers will have a little trouble with 24X 24 bit/48KHz tracks at once.

For $2000, the HD24 is okay, but we realized very quickly that it was hindering our speed at the studio. ProTools, here we come! :(

Creepy

Creepy...

Actually Alesis now has a firewire caddy for the HD24... you can simply pull out the entire drive caddy and place it in the firewire craddle... then go about your editing as if it where just a normal harddrive connected to your computer via firewire...

Best part is... your HD24 is not down while you transfer files (assuming you have another drive to use).

The firewire is listing around $249!!! (remember.. that's LIST)

Velvet Elvis

I don't have one, but I'm in the same boat as Bruce - comtemplating switching my three ADATs for the HD24 - and I've found a good price with a bonus in case anyone's ready to buy one now.

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/alesis_adat_hd24.htm?source=google

This link offers the HD24 for $1899 and you get a free PreSonus BlueTube mic-pre. Not great quality of course, but hey - if it's free I'm sure you can find a use for it. I've actually used PreSonus' comparable compressor and it wasn't horrible.

Ken Rutkowski
www.OuterLimitRecordingStudio.com

Kendog and Bruce;

I used to run 24 tracks of black face ADAT... recently (I work at a music store) Alesis had a promotion for dealers that allowed me to get an HD24 for an outstanding price...

Needless to say I picked one up...

All I can say is wow... I've been working on a national CD project (will release in January) for about a year now and I can't even begin to tell you the recording, locating and editing time I have saved since switching to the HD24... unbelievable.

I also bought two large drives, so that one always has a backup and one is the main drive... backing up a 13 song session takes me only a few minutes... and I can hop from song to song to song very easily.

My only real complaint (which I understand is due to Alesis's format technology) is the lack of "undos" or multiple takes on the same track. No biggie though... if you are used to 2 inch tape or anything of the sort you don't get it in that medium either!

And now with the firewire station for the computer, editing in the computer is VERY quick and easy.... and my studio doesn't have to shut down for me to do editing (I don't need to use the HD24 as an FTP server while editing).

Velvet Elvis

Yeah.......... I'm completely impressed too.........!

The ONLY problem I have with the HD24 is that they LOOK like military reject gear.... no cosmetic sense at all, especially sitting near the Masterlink, which looks way cool......

They could have used more sophisticated-looking meters..... the XT20 meters were easier to read and had better graduated segments...........

Back