HD16 HDD swap to SSD

Hey all,

Some of you might remember that Zoom used to have a user forum on their website https://www.zoom.co.jp. I used to frequent that forum back when I got my HD16. I remember one dude successfully swapping out the HDD for a solid state drive, but unfortunately the tutorial he wrote is now gone. The original drive was a mechanical IDE drive.

A long shot, but was hoping someone had any knowledge about it.

thanks

You can buy IDE to SSD adapter devices, which also do SSD to IDE.
I bought one. It worked fine on my windows pc, but wouldn't work in my Korg D16XD.
I couldn't try it in my Yamaha AW16G, for fear of damaging the AW16G.

I bought and IDE converter to add an SD card to my AW16G, but it's still in the box. I figured that a 32GB SD card would be the perfect replacement for a 40GB HD. The only "issue" is that it wouldn't be convenient to swap out the card. I would think about putting a little door on the bottom so SD cards could be swapped. Get a half dozen, install the OS on them and swap them out.

It's not like I NEED the 16G. I've got my AW1600 and my R24 to use instead if I need a portable setup. It would just be for the fun of actually doing the hack.

Thanks guys, I'm finding Transcend IDE SSD's on eBay. Seems like the closest match. I bought a couple from China some years ago "KingSpec". They had a tendency to break down after a while, so will avoid them.

You can buy IDE to SSD adapter devices, which also do SSD to IDE.
I bought one. It worked fine on my windows pc, but wouldn't work in my Korg D16XD.
I couldn't try it in my Yamaha AW16G, for fear of damaging the AW16G.
Hello guys, this is my first post...i'm reading you from france and i just recovered a D16xd that won't boot to hard drive (the message is" power on error") and I see some here have mastered the beast!
I noticed that the DD is not the original one but a 240gb. The questions I ask myself are:

-should there be boot files on the HDD or is it only dedicated to music backup?
- Can we place any size of HDD provided it is ATA?

Thank you for your answers, I used this machine to record my band a few years ago and I was amazed by the quality of the result...

Hi noblo. What makes you think 'It won't boot from hard drive', just because you get the message "power on error"?
If I were designing the D16XD, the firmware for it would all be in flash memory, with the hard drive used just for data.
I don't believe that the D16XD boots from hard disk. I've looked in the manual, and it doesn't seem to state that it does.
The message "power on error" does not appear in the list of messages in my manual.
If you remove the hard disk altogether, does it still say "power on error"?
If you installed a larger disk, it may not use all the space. You are still restricted by the fixed number of songs.

I would start by opening it up, and checking that all the connectors are plugged in properly.
You have to be careful, as some cables are short.
I have plenty of hi-res photos of the inside, but are not to hand right now.
When you have undone the right screws on the rear and bottom, you can lift up the front of the top panel, to see inside.
You have to have some support for the rear of the top panel.
I used to insert some stick like object to prop up the opened top lid.
If you have extra modules installed, check they are plugged in firmly.
Give all the cable connectors a little jiggle, and push them in firmly.
It would also be useful to check that the hard disk cable is firmly plugged in.

Perhaps you can spell out to me exactly what you see, as you try to power it up?
Do you get the 'splash screen' picture of the D16XD on the display?
Do the leds under all the buttons flash on and off, doing their initial self test routine?

thank you for your answer.
When i power it up, the routine starts normally, i have the piscture on the screen and the leds are flashing in three colours, then this message appears and i can shut down or configure, if i select configure , i have a menu with the possibility to make partitions but there is no hard drive in the left part of the screen, so i can't select anything.It seems the machine doesn't recognize the hard drive and then doesn't go further...

I checked the hard drive connection and it's making normal noise ... I would like to try with another HD but i don't have any at the moment... I've seen a dedicated HD(160Go) on ebay around but it's sold 80 euros...

About this message i founded this conversation:

...So i imagined the korg couldn't recognize bigger HD...

I tried to power up with no drive and the routine is longer but same message "fatal: poweron error"

Hi noblo,
I read the justanswer response. Are you sure the hard drive is jumpered to be 'master' as they suggest?
The fact that you have the flashing lights and the picture on the screen, says that a lot IS working.
It tells you that the main 5V supply is good.
I'm thinking that your D16XD is basically good, but it just doesn't like the hard disk, and even rejects it politely.
Do you have the CD-R/RW drive fitted? I vaguely recall that they share a ribbon cable.
It may be that the CD drive is upsetting the hard disk.
If you study the little icons along the bottom of the startup picture, they say which optional modules are detected.
On the right, should be a CD icon. If it is there, there is much good about the hard disk ribbon cable.
If there is no CD icon, that may be because the hard disk is upsetting communication with the CD drive.
Another thought is the 12V supply going to the hard disk. Do you have a multi-meter to measure that voltage?
Did you use this same hard disk, when you successfuly recorded your band years ago?
Is your clock backup battery still good? It is accessed under the hard disk. I had to replace my battery after the D16XD was idle for a few years.
Getting your hands on another IDE ATA drive would be a big help, and give you something to try.

My own D16XD is fitted with: CD-R/RW drive, Dual Tube pre-amp module, Internal Octal Compressor module, and the ADAT module. Never had a problem
with any of them.

thanks a lot !
That's another machine and i don't know anything about it, i founded another HD and i will change it when i ll be back from holidays in 10 days!!
- Yes the HD is on master jumper
- no i ve nothing to measure the HD voltage
- I remember the clock battery didnt affect the machine startup whan i used it years ago...

Here is what i got on the screen... no CD icon...

Attachments

• DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    335.2 KB · Views: 5
hi!

I received the hard drive and replaced it...

and....

Everything works fine !!

just a few questions....

The drive is 80 go , can i switch with bigger ones?

Should i update from 2.0 to 2.01 software system?

When i look below the AIB8 card i can see a ACB8 compressor card ... is it the one dedicated to 1-8 channels?

(on the sartup icons i just see 1-8 compressor and in the compressor menu i only have 1-8...

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4339.JPG
    IMG_4339.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4340.JPG
    IMG_4340.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4337.JPG
    IMG_4337.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4338.JPG
    IMG_4338.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Hi noblo,
Glad you got it going.
I gess you could have a bigger drive. I never tried it.
I just checked mine, and it says version 2.0.0
It seems to work OK, so I just left it be. They must have improved something in the newer version, but updating is always a risk.
Yes it is the ch1-8 compressor card. You can see that same card installed on my main board in the picture above, and I don't have channels 9-16 fitted.
I gat my chanells 9-16 via the ADAT interface, from a Behringer ADA8000.
The cable at the top of your picture is your ch9-16 module. The similar cable you can see behind my compressor card is for the Dual Tube preamp module.
They plug into the same socket.
Looks like compressors are only available for ch1-8. Just like small mixers, my Alto Live16 mixer just has compressors on the first 8 channels.

Thanks a lot for all your answers... but i have one more : )
... and i don't find the solution in the manual
- after mixing my master track, how can i export it to the computer in wave format (not DBK)
thanks again

You can do it noblo.
First, you do your mixdown to the Master Left and Master Right tracks.
Then in the Edit Track tab, select the CopyTrk function from the top list.
You have to do it one track at a time, so do it for Master Left source, and then for Master Right source.
Copy that source to the Clip. You need to specify the In and Out locations, by clicking on the WAVE icon.
Then in the Export tab, you can export that clip fie to the PC(USB) drive, as a .WAV.
Et voila!

Back