HD vs. ADAT

memphissound

I need a little information from those who have had some practicle, hands-on experience.

For the past few months I've been working toward upgrading my multi-track system from a simple cassett based 4-track to a digital system. For a long time I was sure I was headed toward a hard-disk system on my PC (leaning toward M-audio system). However, I am now considering going to an ADAT type II system (like an Alesis LX20).

This is what I THINK I know:
ADAT
Pros: easily portable, 8 inputs to start with, daisy chain more units later, can use any out-board gear
Cons: 20 bit resolution, requires space and patches for out-board gear, tape media, requires separate cd burner.

HD
Pros: 24 bit resolution, on-board effects available, cd media
Cons: 4 inputs to start with, expansion can be difficult, not as portable

Some things I don't know:
Future availability of ADAT support, compatibility with other studios (e.g. if I mix and get someone else to master)

I would appreciate anybody's input on this. If there's something I'm not considering please bring it to my attention. Thanks much.

I know next to nothing about ADAT's - so bear that in mind with my response.

I think you missed a big plus with a computer based system, and that is non-linear editing. That feature alone might sway me.

Also, there are two ways of looking at track counts. One is the number of simultaneous inputs, the other is the total number of tracks available. With a computer based system the number of simultaneous tracks that you can record is limited by the number of inputs on your sound card. However, there is essentially no limit to the total number of tracks you can use in a project.

I believe with an ADAT system you would have a limit on the number of tracks that can be used in a project, or you will have to bounce the tracks to free up room (and degrade the signal).

There is also a significant advantage of software effect plug-ins - that is they can be used non-destructively. I can't tell you how many times I thought something sounded great, only to change my mind the next day, or when I dropped it to CD and played in my car. (However, I won't get into a debate regarding the sound quality of hardware versus software effects. That I'll leave for others.)

Just more food for thought.

My 2 cents

PC is cool, but you need to spend a bundle to get stuff solid. Like mac's. I have a LCII mac (Close to 10 years old) that never ever ever crashes while doing stuff. Unlike my year old gateway. Crashes many many times daily. The mac is faster to boot up to! Ask Q and he'll tell you that ADAT's rule. Bruce uses ADATs Shalat uses adats and pro tools I belive. 3 big players using adats. If your looking to just demo music or make small productions, sofeware is cool, but if your serious look to drop some $$$$ on a hip DAW and/or ADATs

i made the move from delta 1010 to adats... its worth it, commputers SUCK unless you can pay out the arsehole for a mac. and then its still a noisey computer, with a monitor that makes your eyes bug out, and im telling you that just hitting record and playing your part, then hitting play and it always works is so much better then computer recording and mixing... if you need non linear editing for fixing your mistakes in playing, well you have other problems. computers are great for burning cds to! delta still has kick ass A/D for mixdown.

For what it's worth, ADATs for tracking and a computer for editing for me is a pretty powerful team. ADAT is just more stable and intuitive way to track for me, then transfer the trackes into the computer for editing, transfer back to the ADATs to mix thru my analog mixer. It works very well for me. YMMV.:D

Memphissound,

listen to Track Rat. I do the same thing.
I track on three XT´s and then I just transfer the tracks to my PC via a ADAT interface for editing.

Couldn´t be easier...

giggsy

truly portable?

No its not, where are you going to fit the monitor keyboard mouse etc? Some companies have rackmount monitors in 1U that slide out and had a tack ball and keyboard. THAT is portable. THAT is $1000 on top of your computer. So know you get to a friends place or some gig, or some school event you are meant to record. SHIT! computer crashes for NO reason in the middle of a song. there is NO going back, you're fucked. and dont tell me thats never happened to you in the comfort of your room at home where there is no money on the line :D . It has happened to me.

Well I wouldnt recommend buying from Sound Chaser anyway (at least not their PC's)...terribly overpriced.....I was just trying to show that PC's can be portable.....

Also tell me that ADAT's dont give you trouble....just ask Misterqcue about his experience recording the Homereccer's Right Coast jamfest.....

A PC built correctly for recording only, setup correctly for recording only, and used for recording only can be just as stable as ADAT's, maybe more.....

You're talking to a computer nerd here. I get off looking at mobos. I build comps, i spent all summer working with databases, i recorded onto a computer for the past year. I go to university studying comps. Computers are nowhere near as stable as an adat. they WILL be, and that is a day that will be bad ass. But an adat was built to do one thing. And windows, nor MacOS were built purely to handle audio. thats one they still screw up. Someone will make an audio only OS that you can dual boot someday.

also when they can quiet the fans the world will be a better place. ALSO look out in the next 5 years to start seeing 2 inch thick CRT flatscreens. those blokes at IBM think they managed to make huge cheap flatscreens. Also on portability, they have figured out how to make LCD screens out of plastic instead of glass which helps in 3 ways. you can bend future LCDs without them breaking, the plastic screen costs $1 instead of the $100 for glass, so those are getting cheaper, and finally kinda to point 1, we will soon have 360 degree plastic spheres of LCD madness.

that last bit doesn't have anything to do with computer vs. adat recording. :)

you get offlooking at motherboards?.....cover them with Saran Wrap while doing this and they'll work better for you.....:D

BTW, was that computer you were recording on built, optimized, and used for ONLY digital audio?....

I made this comment in the Cave originally about standalone HD recorders but it applies to ADAT's also....if you start using your ADAT to log on to the internet, play wild ass video games, balance your checkbook, turn your house lights on/off, etc., how stable do you think it will be?.....

kristian - 1
Gidge - 0

I just think with an 8 track ADAT, the limitations are obvious...8 tracks....effect processing isnt handled by the ADAT so that isnt an issue....once you know your PC-DAW's limitations and respect it, you will have little problems.....

leaning toward...

ADAT.

Why? I can't afford two computers. From what I'm seeing I should get a dedicated tricked out computer to do the recording. And the portability issue is important for me and the plans for my "studio". For about $1000 I can get two (used) ADATs. This would give me 14 tracks to record to and 2 to mix down to, plenty for the type of recording I would do.

I've already got a Mackie 1604 mixer to use to do the mix, but being able to use the PC at a later time is still out there. Furthermore, I prefer NOT to be a computer technician and to focus on the production end. The ability to just push "record" and "play" has a lot of appeal.

All of this is just thoughts right now though. After actually putting my hands on a PC studio somewhere I may change my mind again. Thank you for all of your educated and experienced input. Now go make some music.

Peace <><

I'll tell you as a user of both what I think.

If your a home recorder then a PC would be a better idea.
It will give you a good bang for the buck as well as many posibilties the ADAT won't.

If your going commercial then ADAT is the way to go.
You will need a reliable format, something that can be moved from studio to studio, info that can be held in your hands and secure for years and not on a HD.
Someting that will usualy work day in and night (with care) and not crash on you during a session.

Some of the cons u bring up are valid but not always crucial like the 20 bit. Although if you are going commercial you can't ignore 24 bit as clients want that today and you have to impress them....... You'll never run out of space and the media is cheap.
Also the combination of the PC with the ADAT as said before is a good solution.

A third option is going Mac as Wallycleaver said.
You don't have to buy a Pro Tools to use a mac as there are quite a few choices including the 001 and others.
Although PC's are great they are still not as reliable as a pc or as problimatic are require computer knowledge at the level of a tech to get it to work when problems start.

Back