HD Storage options for the PC

wmalan

So my current 10 year old Reaper DAW has a 256GB spinning boot disk (7200rpm). I have a second 500GB spinning HD for my project files. I did this setup for faster read-writes.

I'm looking at a new system with at least one SSD boot drive. I found two decent deals. One is a Dell with a 256GB SSD boot drive and a 500GB spinning (7200) drive. The other option is just one single 500GB SSD drive for the same money. Would the single SSD work better than my existing? Is there merit with SSD drives to have two for the read-write speed? Or... Would it be best to have two SSD drives (for a bit more money)?

I don't do massive work as it's mostly a songwriting and at home "jam along with" tool for me.

Going with a SSD for the boot and program drive is the way to go. You'll see a massive improvement in bootup and program launch going to an SSD.

A regular data drive is fine if you have a 7200 drive, but at the current prices, there's hardly a reason to add a spinner. A 500GB SSD is well under $100 these days. You can get a good 2 TB external USB 3 drive for backup.

I swapped out all he drives in my computer with SSD's. 500 gig for the system/program drive and 2 TB units for my work & backup drives.

Yeah......I finally got rid of all my spinning drives. The overall speed got better without a doubt. I've had two of them for at almost 5 years now.....proving their reliability and durability to me. IMO....your backup drive is the most important drive.

Mick

I agree that the price of ssd's has made them the best option, however, a 4TB 5k rpm spinner can be had for ~$50 or less and adding one along with the SSD's makes an excellent backup drive for a complete system image. Cheap insurance in my book.

:thumbs up: GTO, I've got a couple Seagate 4TB drives with the extras USB ports on the front. Great for making backups.... Do an image of the whole 500GB boot drive and put it in the drawer. You can easily hold 4 or 5 backups and still have room.

The other holds copies of the various audio and video projects from the data drive.

OK. So it's SSD's for both. I have an existing 2TB USB backup for that as well. So regardless of drive type... A boot and a separate project drive like before. Thanks for the help.

You only need a small ssd for the program drive, I use multibles of 500gig drives for project files. And a NAS box for backup. I am going to install a raid system soon with duplex drives so everything is automaticly backed up as it is created. Don't you just love technology.

Alan

Back