Having very frustrating troubles, dont even know where to start diagnosing...

drummerboy_04AP

So, I bought a laptop last fall, and my main reason was to use it for recording. Things got busy for a while, and Im just now starting to really try to record stuff again. But now Im having troubles getting it to work. I have both reaper and Cubase LE installed. My troubles seem to be very random. Like, Ill turn on my computer, my Presounus Firepod will be connected, everything should be ready to go. I go to record, and thank god, it works. Then I go back to listen to it, and that even works! Now I go back to record something else, and now when Im recording the waves dont show up until a bit after they are made (is this latency issues??), and when I go to play it back, its like the whole track is skipping (chick-chickkk-chik-chiik, etc). And then sometimes.... it wont even let me record at all!

I have no clue what is going on, everything used to work on my parents desktop. I just bought a new firewire cable thinking that might be the issue, but apparently not. I thought that the computer would be able to handle it, its a Dell running windows XP pro, with 3gigs ram and a 250gig hardrive...

To anyone who has actually read all of this (thank you!), any ideas on what I can try to do to get back to recording?!?

Thanks,

Alex

Do you turn on the firepod before or after the computer? Try turning it on after the computer has fully booted.

I Have a firestudio and I know presonus stuff can be picky about what firewire chipset you have. Has it ever worked on that laptop?

Can you set the sample rate on the firepod? try jacking it up to 256 or 512.

Also, my firepod started acting all wonky and about a week later it didn't work at all, it seams the firmware got corrupted so maybe try a firmware update.

I have gotten it to work before with this computer, just not consistently...

Thanks for the help, any more info on updating the firmware? How do I go about doing that , if it comes down to it?

Thanks again,
Alex

Not sure abbot the fire pod but I assume it's the same as fire studio. Check the menus on the control panel or it may be a separate program in your windows menus. If that doesn't help check the persons forums.

Back