Having a hard time with this one...

Well.. I just happened to run across this post in the depths of page two... :rolleyes: and figured I'd comment on it... :p

I didn't quite like the "song" itself... :p but the mix was good over all.

I thought the elec guitar was a scoche too loud in the very beginning (00:10) and actually throughout the song it, it seemed a bit overbearing whenever he did that 16th note lick (like the one at 00:10) but in the "chorus" it all leveled oat...

Also, at the "lead".. I wasn't diggin' that reverb that kinda just "morphed" into a delay.. but once he started doin' triplets it sounded better...

I did dig the part at the end where they changed tempos... but.. being a drummer... I thought those snare hits that lead into that part should have been louder... :p man.. why can't they ever make the drums LLLLLOOOOOUUUUUDDDDD!!!! like God intended them to be..?? :D

WATYF

Musically, the band needs tightening.

I like this tune the best out of the two posted. Production wise, a little on the muffled side. I liked the arrangement of the vocals on the chorus. Pretty creative. This song has good punk hit potential if the band could just inject that fat rat attitude into their instruments, and the lead vox just let it rip out, ya know??

My stoopid opinion of course.

r

I'm having fun mixing this stuff... a high school band that bangs out these originals effortlessly....

ric,
definitely room for tightening... most of the recording sessions are one-shot takes on songs that they wrote in the last month or so...

I'm not sure if I can rectify the muffled sounds... i'll fiddle with some plugins and EQ'ing. That and will double-check the board for next session.

thanks for the compliment on the vocal arrangement in the chorus, as that was arranged and recorded after-the-fact by yours truly, mr. mixer (I couldn't help myself, I felt the chorus really needed something, and that's what came out...)

watyf,
thanks for saving me from the depths of obscurity.... :D i'll work on those levels. I especially appreciate drummer comments, as I'm really working at trying to get the whole drum mixing thing down. I think we had six drum tracks on the kit.

2 ECM8000 OH's (Thanks Harvey :) )
3 57's on snare, toms, and floor tom
1 Beta 52 on the kick

Queue

hey Queue,

I think that some of my comments on the first thread could be applied here. I dont think the guitar sounds in your face enough....not really the volume, but maybe it should be doubled. I STRONGLY dont like the saturated effects on the guitar solo.. IMOP it doesnt sound natural. It could be cool on another song though. To me this sounds like it was produced by someone who really doesnt listen to this type of music..

It was pretty cool overall, but the solo effect saturation doesnt fit this tune..maybe because it gets too loud, but it's more of a metal solo sound IMOP..

good job overall though, and I like when the song kicks in at the end..

later
sam

sam,
thanks for the listen and comment. i'll fade back a bit on that solo to see if it will fit a little better. the thing I like about these guys is that they seem to draw on a number of types of music. (Sometimes unknowingly?) They have another song where the chord progression is very much like the Who's cover of "Summertime Blues". I mentioned it to them, and was met with blank stares... :eek:

Queue

Hi Queue. Add a drum crash to that first guitar chord. The guitar kinda just drops into that rhythm kinda unsmoothly. If you can get them to overdub something there it might smooth it out a bit. Maybe bring that bass up a couple dB's.

It's a pretty clean sound here. Just needs a bit more punch for the style. Lot of potential there IMHO.

Hey SLuiCe,
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. I was kinda thinking that chord sounded a little funky out there all by itself. Actually it sounded much worse! I had to cut its level by about 50% (he really hit that chord :eek: )

I'll sift through my tracks... I'm sure I can find a naked crash somewhere.

Thanks again,
Queue

This reminds me of a song my college band wrote called, "She's so Shallow." It's not very polished, but it doesn't seem you're going for that, so who cares?

Fun tune.

g

Back