Have you played a Peavey Bandit 112?

I had one ages ago. My amp fried, and I shopped all over for a cheap replacement. ( I had limited funds at the time) The bandit filled the bill for a couple of years. I put an Electro Voice EVM12L in it that I had lying around. It made a huge difference.The Scorpion speaker that came in it was real "tubby" sounding. Other than that, it had a decent sound for the money. Plenty of power too. (65 watts)

I've had a bizarre problem with those Peavey combo amps...not sure if this is normal, but it's happened on 3 that I've owned: the reverb seems to just randomly start screwing itself. Either it stops working, or it just starts buzzing horribly. Naturally, this stops at the very second that I bring the amp into the shop when I'm trying to explain the problem to the repairman. Do Peaveys just have crappy reverb pans or is this just my luck? YMMV. I gotta admit...I always did like their distortions.

Purge said:
I've had a bizarre problem with those Peavey combo amps...not sure if this is normal, but it's happened on 3 that I've owned: the reverb seems to just randomly start screwing itself. Either it stops working, or it just starts buzzing horribly. Naturally, this stops at the very second that I bring the amp into the shop when I'm trying to explain the problem to the repairman. Do Peaveys just have crappy reverb pans or is this just my luck? YMMV. I gotta admit...I always did like their distortions.
I love the distortion too. I had the 112, but I had to sell it during a bad time in my life. I had the audition chorus model too, which was sweet and loud as hell. Same problem with the reverb, after awhile, it just whined when I turned it up.
I sure wish I had that little sucker now, though. I am recording with a 10-watt Yamaha practice amp.... :(

I've got a Bandit 1/12

I would NOT buy it again. It's all the bad things I think of when I thing of solid state.

It gets used as a a poor mans PA, hooked up to my GNX and does the job.

Sometimes it's an emergency bass amp.

If nothing else, it has lasted over 15 years of abuse.

from what i gather, the bandit is a great amp and lots of people on another board i visit have this amp (it's a metallica musicians board). there's this "virtual cover band" on the board called sad but true, and the main guitarist used the bandit for a lot of recordings, http://www.sadbuttrue-band.com/media/songs.asp i think all songs except "for whom the bell tolls" were recorded with the bandit. that should give you a good idea of what it's potential is.

Back