Have you added a pickup?

I really enjoy playing my bass, and it has a pile of sentimental value, however I'm not sure I love the sound. I'd like a fuller, fatter tone. I'm considering adding a bridge pickup.

Has anyone added a pickup to a stock bass? What were the results? What pickup would you recommend?

IMG_2761.JPG

I can also provide a sound sample if that aids the discussion.
Thanks for reading!
-j

Adding a pickup WONT give you a rounder warmer tone. No place to install one except close to the bridge. Closer to bridge = brighter.

A common configuration is called the PJ setup. Very versatile, with a P bass pIckup at the neck and jazz bass pickup at the bridge.

Thanks for your response, but I'm not sure if you're for or against adding a pickup. I'm not looking for a brighter tone, and I'm definitely not looking for more finger noise. But I am looking for a fuller, fatter tone.
Are you suggesting adding a bass pickup to the neck? Have you done that before? Do you recommend a specific pickup?

What strings do you use? Flatwounds with give a duller tone and tapewound would give an even duller tone and less sustain, with a lot less (if any) finger noise.

I have 2 P Bass's. One with normal strings and the other has tapewound on it. Both have the same pickups and sound completely different in tone.

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with strings, I believe I'm using Flatwound now and I dig them, but I'm still on the search for the perfect set, and I've been taking that into account.
I'm really curious to know if anyone's had any luck adding a pickup.

Thanks for your response, but I'm not sure if you're for or against adding a pickup. I'm not looking for a brighter tone, and I'm definitely not looking for more finger noise. But I am looking for a fuller, fatter tone.
Are you suggesting adding a bass pickup to the neck? Have you done that before? Do you recommend a specific pickup?
Im not for OR against you adding a pickup.
In my day I have done plenty of installs.

All Im saying is, it wont give you the results you want.

Experiment with strings, amps, maybe install a different pickup.
But cutting a hole and adding a pup won't do it.

Interesting. What is the effect of adding one (if I go off 1/2 cocked and try it, what would could I expect)? Why have you done it in the past, what was the goal? And what was the outcome?
I have an SVT100, I can't change that (wife won't pass the budget), but I'm experimenting with the rest. Strings are still a work in progress, but I'm narrowing the field.
Can you recommend any specific pickups?

You could put anothr p bass pickup closer to the neck. That would warm it up. It would look goofy, but would work.

I did not recomend that aproach before because a) looks like ass, and b) it can make your bottom end too boomy.

The normal setup for most is the p/j setup.

A good p bass has plenty of "roundness"

My advice? ? Leave the thing alone and get something with active pickups. Yamaha, Ibanez, peavy, all good and affordable

Consider this an "edit, follow up" post

Some of the warmest, roundest, fattest, bass parts recorded have been done with a p bass and a good player.
I mean, really, all the tone is in your hands anyway.
people can tend to go on the net looking for solutions that can be solved with practice and playing.

Don't start chopping up your bass. You don't need to add a pickup. Adding a bridge pickup is a counterproductive to what you say you want. Adding a P pickup closer to the neck will give you mud--and look like ass.

To be honest, you seem vague about what you have right now, what you want to achieve, and how to get there. What strings are you using? You said you think they are flats. Post a closeup. What kind of pickups are on there now? You said you want a "fuller," "fatter" tone. Be more specific. Do you want more bottom? More low-mids? Can you give an example of the tone you want?

How's your technique? Can you play with or without a pick? Are you comfortable playing anywhere along the string, from bridge to neck? Or are rooted in one spot? Where you pluck makes a big difference in tone.

P basses are all about the mids. If you want a strong fundamental with less upper mids, flatwounds are the way to go. If you want big bottom, the P bass is not ideal but a pickup change might get your closer. Have you considered an EQ pedal? Boss makes a pretty good one for well under $100.

Thanks for the input.
Although no one is being specific, it sounds like adding a pickup isn't the best idea, but I'd still like to learn why.
I apologize for being vague in what I have and want, I'm only trying to learn more about adding a pickup. I understand my strings/amp/style/room/sign all contribute to my sound. I experiment with my variables all the time, but the one thing I can't "experiment" with is adding a pickup. I was really hoping to learn about other people's experiences adding pickups. I'm not sure I want to dig into my bass, but I do have a skilled router operator at my disposal, and honestly it sounded like a good forum topic to me.

What were the results? Why did you do it in the 1st place? What exactly did you do? What pickup did you add? What pickup did you replace? No one is giving details. I'm starting to doubt anyone has any actual 1st hand experience adding pickups.

Sorry you're not getting the answers that you want. In your first post you stated wanting to add a pickup to the BRIDGE position. Not gonna get you your result.

Later, I mentioned that you "could" add a P bass pickup closer to the neck, but it wouldn't sound good and would look like shit.

You're starting to think no one has had any experience with adding pickups?? I stated earlier, I have done tons. I actually do this stuff for a living. (build, repair, modify guitars and basses.)

Either you don't read, or believe me, or are dissapointed that no one is feeding you the answers that you want.

The most common pickup mods on a P bass have been the P/J set up. Why?? Because it works! Luthiers have been doing this so long and with good results that even Fender themselves started doing this setup.

It is a tried and proven winner that gives more versatility to the instrument.

Bass options with different pickup configurations and actives were suggested, but you don't seem interested in exploring that but are intent on chopping up your bass.

I say go for it. Do it. Experiment with it and report back your findings to US.

I'm starting to think it is you who doesn't know what he wants, and most likely isn't a seasoned bass player. Do you know that just by playing closer to the neck, your tone will be rounder and warmer, and that by playing closer to the bridge will give you a brighter more trebly tone?

Like I said earlier, some of the BEST bass tones ever, have been recorded by a great bass players with the lowly one pickup P bass. It worked for them, why couldn't it work for you.

That being said, I'm out of here. I hate these round and round internet discussions.

:D

I'll never understand this forum. People are so quick to attack. What's with all the hate?

I'm sorry you're getting upset. I saw what you said, I absorbed it, I'm interested, and I'm looking to absorb more.
You said adding a neck pickup sounded bad. I'd like to understand why? I'm trying to learn. What pickup did you use? What sounded bad? If you knew it would sound bad, why'd you do it?

Furthermore, RFR, I'm hoping for some discussion. Don't get upset that I'm hoping to hear from several people, I thought that was the purpose of a forum.

In my initial post I asked 3 specific questions: Has anyone added a pickup to a stock bass? What were the results? What pickup would you recommend? I'm sorry if you thought I was looking for "yes and bad", but I was hoping for more of a "yes, I added an XYZ to a Carvin ABC but it made it sound muddier" etc., and ideally I'd love to hear several people's experiences.
I want to learn. I want to understand. I want to discus. I want details. I want product numbers. Forum with me!

People might think that "Fuller, Fatter" would mean warmer, less bright. However, it really comes down to what your definition is. If you want to add higher freqs and clearer articulation, then adding a bridge pickup will help. If you want to add more low end and generate thump and boom, then adding a bridge pickup won't help. But it won't hurt because you already have a pickup in the "Thump and Boom" location.

Physically adding another pickup is not too terribly difficult if you can handle a router. You will need to add another potentiometer and from what I can see in the pic, you might have space limitations with that pickguard.

I personally don't like having just one pickup. I like having options and two pickups on a bass can provide that.

In my initial post I asked 3 specific questions: Has anyone added a pickup to a stock bass? What were the results? What pickup would you recommend? I'm sorry if you thought I was looking for "yes and bad", but I was hoping for more of a "yes, I added an XYZ to a Carvin ABC but it made it sound muddier" etc., and ideally I'd love to hear several people's experiences.
I want to learn. I want to understand. I want to discus. I want details. I want product numbers. Forum with me!

I never added to a stock bass, I built my own. I like Guitar Fetish pickups, but I don't really have any experience with others except Yamaha and Squier. The Yamaha was a cheapo P/J bass and I could get any tone I wanted out of that thing. I gave it to my kid, but I'm not against stealing it back if necessary. :D

You don't want a bridge pickup. That won't add fatness or roundness. It will add brightness and attack. That's the nature of bridge pickups.

Add that to the pile of answers that all say the same thing.

In addition, try your tone knob. Your bass comes with one. A P-Bass will get super fat and full by just rolling the tone back.

You do, Greg? Are you sure?
My bass is a Fernandes, not Fender, and only has one small serial number. I've contacted Fernandes to learn more about it, they believe it was made in Japan for sale in Japan. I had my Japanese step-mother contact Fernandes in Japan and they say it was made in America.
The former owner painted the pickups with white-out, I believe that turns a jazz bass punk, but I'm not sure.

Back