Have an empty building, need ideas!

lenMCHC

Hey everyone, I have a 12x16 building in my backyard, 100% empty. door is on right hand side of 12" side. other than that, I have no constrictions.

I am planning on expanding the building to include a 12 x 10 control room.

Anyone have any Ideas, or designs for a space that size?

Any pics? What do you want from it? What's your budget? What's it made from? How close are you to neighbours? What instruments will you be recording? Can you draw a plan view of what it is now, and what you want it to be(with the 12x10 control room)?

i'll see what I can do about pictures this weekend.

It's literally 12"x16" and empty on the inside, the roof is tall, probably 12 - 13 feet tall at it's highest.

The 12x10 control room doesn't exist yet, and it is still changeable, since it's in the talking stage...

I'll also make a hand drawing and scan it in. but regardless, it's just an empty room, just waiting to be done up nice.

whats the walls floor and ceiling made of? when you get to the stage of constructing the control room dont make it square or even wors cubic. there are some ratios you can use for defining the dimentions....like: for height of 1 foot, width will have to be 1.14 and lenght 1.39

Floor is a concrete slab. I am intending on putting in a floating wood floor.

Walls are currently one ply of your standard run of the mill wall board/sheet rock. I will obviously not stick with that.

ceiling has been rocked, but i am 100% open, i want this to be as professional level as possible. i'm not looking to spend a billion dollars, but money really isn't an issue.

Your talking feet, not meters right? If you were talking meters, I'd say slap hardwood all over the place and make it into a killer reverberant room. However, seems kinda small if it's feet, and probalby not worth making into a live room. I'd dry it out if you're gonna record in there as much as possible. To me, there's nothing worse than a reverb that says "WARNING: INCOMING EARLY REFLECTIONS" that's baked into everything you record.

Floor is a concrete slab. I am intending on putting in a floating wood floor.
Before you seriously think about floating a wood floor, I would read up on it. This isn't a slam bam thank you mam proposition :D There are many things to consider, such as cracking the existing slab./weight vs isolator compression calcs/ AND the fact that raising a WOOD floor simply creates a drum head like diaphram, which even with isolation pads, needs dampening etc.
Besides, unless you are floating a WHOLE room, just isolating the floor may be an exercise in futility if the walls/ceiling/roof/doors create any weak links, which would negate your floor anyway. Not only that, when you get into this realm, PERMITS are almost mandatory if you want to keep your insurance intact. Another area of concern is ventilation, as an "soundproof" envelope is also "airproof".
The whole rooms TRANSMISSION LOSS needs to be addressed on an assembly to assembly basis/ including the roof, if its to to be part of the ceiling TWO LEAF-MASS AIR MASS construction. So does the exterior wall leaf(mass), as well as the existing interior drywall leaf. Unless this leaf is removed and a new leaf decoupled, even adding another layer of drywall will only offer 3-4db improvement in transmission loss as theoretically, doubling the mass of the COMPLETE WALL will only improve it a maximum of 6db TL.
If drums put out 110db at 1 ft, well, I think you get my drift :D
To get an idea of what building TRUE isolation assemblies are about, read this.
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2921&sid=8d0321cd1ab8af49d88b07a0ae73e101
or this. They pretty much cover things.
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=839&sid=8d0321cd1ab8af49d88b07a0ae73e101
Of course, if you want to get REALLY anal, check this out. Talk about isolation. :eek:
http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=107
fitZ

Back