Has Reaper really gotten this cool?

Gabriel_0

Man, I was just in the process of crossgrading to Cubase 4 and came to this forum. Too many good things said not to give Reaper another shot. Downloaded it and so far I'm completely blown away by it. The GUI has a lot of similarities to Acid Pro which I love but can't stand the sound engine and not having VU meters for the tracks. The Sound Engine in Reaper sounds pretty damn good. 64 bit huh? So how many tracks have you guys gotten to run without the thing blowing up on you. I average about 48 tracks per song and Traction and Sonar simply can't handle it without having to freeze half or more of my tracks half way through the song. Yes I have a pretty powerful computer for sequencing...lol and it's completely optimized to be recording friendly. AMD 3700+ DuoCore, 4 gigs ram etc etc.

If Reaper can do the job.....man....I'm in !!!!

Gabriel

Last edited:
I was talking to someone in the reaper chat room after seeing this thread. He's had the track count as high as 300 with no problems, not simultaneous recording. Mixing orchestral stuff.

I average about 48 tracks per song...

What are you recording that you average 48 tracks?:eek:

Just curious. My biggest project was around 30, and it was 10 tracks devoted to the drumset. And it was a collaberation. On my own I only do 10-15...

Oh, and even on my laptop Reaper kicks ass....

Well after playing with Reaper for a couple of hours last night I'm finding myself quite at home here. Imported a couple of projects and the sound engine seems REALLY nice !!! Still trying to figure out how to render an MP3 though. Reaper can't seem to find my Lame files and I haven't yet seen an option as to where I can point to Reaper to the directory????

Anyways looks like it just may be a keeper. I'll give it a few more days to fiddle with and will probably purchase it.

psh. 50+ tracks is nothing to accumulate for me. I read this out of interest, I currently use Nuendo 4 which I like, but just curious about reaper.

A typical recording session for my band goes like this though
Drums: easy 10+ tracks.
Kick, Snare, snare underside, 2 toms, hats, ride, two overheads, two room mics is a usual set up. Sometimes more for different purposes (such as a 57 on the beater side of the kick, a second mic like a small diaphram condenser on the snare)

Guitar
My guitarist has three different amps. A Dr. Z, and Orange, and a Fender
we mic the Z and Orange and record two takes. that's 4 channels..

and then record cleans on the fender with two different mics.

leads? there's another 4 channels.

bass? either one channel or I mic the Cab and use a DI as well.. there's 2

Keyboards? a couple different pads could take up 1-3 stereo channels.

acoustic 2 mics 2 takes stereo.. 4 channels

vocals? I can easily do about 5 channels including BG vocals.
I think i've already gone through about 40 tracks just listing these.. and it's easy for me to go well over that. most of my songs are around 50-60 tracks.

psh. 50+ tracks is nothing to accumulate for me. I read this out of interest, I currently use Nuendo 4 which I like, but just curious about reaper.

A typical recording session for my band goes like this though
Drums: easy 10+ tracks.
Kick, Snare, snare underside, 2 toms, hats, ride, two overheads, two room mics is a usual set up. Sometimes more for different purposes (such as a 57 on the beater side of the kick, a second mic like a small diaphram condenser on the snare)

Guitar
My guitarist has three different amps. A Dr. Z, and Orange, and a Fender
we mic the Z and Orange and record two takes. that's 4 channels..

and then record cleans on the fender with two different mics.

leads? there's another 4 channels.

bass? either one channel or I mic the Cab and use a DI as well.. there's 2

Keyboards? a couple different pads could take up 1-3 stereo channels.

acoustic 2 mics 2 takes stereo.. 4 channels

vocals? I can easily do about 5 channels including BG vocals.
I think i've already gone through about 40 tracks just listing these.. and it's easy for me to go well over that. most of my songs are around 50-60 tracks.

Yep this almost sums it up. 10 tracks at least for drums, 2 to 4 on bass, 3 to 6 for the guitars, 5 or 6 sometimes more for the main and backup vox, 8 plus for my synths (at least), a couple for percussions and such, then you have the B3 and pianos and the list goes on. 48 plus tracks easy.

early versions of reaper like 0.60-ish I had to do 200+ tracks of 96 khz on an import from a noob engineer from a PT session...worked ok long enough to knock it down to a sensible number.

That was on a dual opteron 248

Back