Has anyone used Pro Tools LE with a Powermac?

Gary

I have a Mac 6500/250 and would like to download the free version of Pro-Tools. The website doesn't list my computer as compatible but says that since the free program only offers 1/3 the number of track as the full version, older Powermacs may be able to run the program.

I currently have only 48mbs of RAM and the minimum to use Pro Tools is 128. However, this older RAM is really expensive now and I don't want to max out my machine until I know that the Pro-Tools will work. Yes, funds are tight at the moment..

Does anyone have any input? Would this work or do I need to buy a more powerful mac to take advantage of the free Pro Tools?

Thanks,
Gary

the problem with PTfree is that it is the newest version of PT software, and you will have difficulties running it on your computer, full stop.

Mac's

The likelyhood is that he is right, it wont work well although the nice thing about Mac's it will give anything a go regardless of the age of the machine. Try it...!

If you don't have any joy, most of my friends use Mac's and some have older machines than yours. In this case, you could try the demo of Cubase (sadly no logic demo) and see how it fairs with a bit of audio. If you can get an older versions of Logic Audio 3.5 (but NO Higher) it will run fine. How do I know that?? I used Logic 3.5 on my 6400/200 before I bought the G4 and it worked great. I got 11 tracks without any problems with the bare machine. That is impressive under the circumstances

Geeb...

Thanks Geeb -

Is Logic better than Studio Vision Pro? I've been using that for a few years now and usually only get about 8 or 9 audio track. I just wanted to try Pro Tools as it seems to have so many more features than Vision..

Geeb...

I have fiddled with Pro-Tools and a tiny bit with studio vision. Logic on the Mac has been part of the pro studios arsenal for some time. You can't go too far wrong with it...

The amount of tracks you will get depends on the HD and the Memory first but the system buss has to be up for it as well. The best way to find out is to try the packages themselves.

Good Luck...

Geeb...

Logic is substantially better - pretty steep learning curve, but once you know it its cool.

Just another thing --- wait for a big splodge of 2nd hand Mac's coming onto the market. The new Mac's are outragiously wonderful to work with, everyone who plays with one once wants one, so a lot of people will be upgrading. One of my friends has just bought one which would have been perfect for you, with 384 RAM AND a 20" monitor, for $500!!! Save up and scan the ads.

Oh yes - check out my post on the new Tascam US-428, a multi faderbank DAW controller which comes with an 8 track audio, 16 MIDI version of Steinberg's Cubase For just under $600!!! And ... if you want to upgrade to the full version of Cubase, you get it at a large discount.
This is by far the cheapest solution to quality multi track recording and sequencing ever. With the Tascam you don't need a soundcard, it plugs direct into a USB port. On top of that, its got 24 bit AD and DA converters.

I've used ProTools LE on a Mac G3/350 with 256 Megs RAM using the DIGI 001 for about a year now. The program is absolutely the best and produces excellent recordings. ProTools LE requires Digidesign hardware to run so I'm not sure what the free version does. My guess is that it could only use limited input capabilities. I find that even with 256 Megs RAM that I run out of memory at times when I use more that 4 or 5 plug-ins at a time (reverbs, etc.).

Back