has anyone tried to paint

Jamal Bucket

your guitar cab??? anyone know what would A: stick to , and B: LOOK GOOD..on say a tolex covered speaker cabinet??...i have a mesa halfstack ..i guess its covered in vinyl??..sorta soft ..looks like fake leather kinda?..

anyone...

bueller..

bueller..

:D

i know spray paint works, but i'm not sure how GOOD it will look. i know it's possible to paint tolex to make it look good though, i was friends with a guy that had a 1960a that was custom painted and looked nice. maybe call a car shop and ask if they will/can spray it for you?

tylerxxx said:
i know spray paint works, but i'm not sure how GOOD it will look. i know it's possible to paint tolex to make it look good though, i was friends with a guy that had a 1960a that was custom painted and looked nice. maybe call a car shop and ask if they will/can spray it for you?

I know someone who had a car detailing place paint it for him and it looked sweet as hell.

I think there is vinyl-specific paint available for restoring old cars. A friend of mine had a blue regal or something and he stained some interior plastic panels using some kind of paint. Anyway you do it, when you move the amp around it's gonna get scratched off. Bring a can for touch-up.

cephus said:
Anyway you do it, when you move the amp around it's gonna get scratched off. Bring a can for touch-up.

Yep. Been there. Scratches off way to easily and looks cheesy.

For such a nice amp (your Mesa half stack), I'd suggest spending the money to have the original Tolex removed and have it professionally recovered in whatever color Tolex you want... red, blue, green, snakeskin, you choose. If you paint it (even with vinyl seat paint), you're automatically lowering the value of the amp because it's not durable. Would you pay good money for a painted amp? Not many people would. ;)

kid klash said:

For such a nice amp (your Mesa half stack), I'd suggest spending the money to have the original Tolex removed and have it professionally recovered in whatever color Tolex you want... red, blue, green, snakeskin, you choose. If you paint it (even with vinyl seat paint), you're automatically lowering the value of the amp because it's not durable. Would you pay good money for a painted amp? Not many people would. ;)

I haven't been in that situation, but I imagide kid is right and I agree. If you want a different color, get all new tolex.

How much does new tolex generally cost for a pro to do it? While I'm at it, how about a laquer job on tweed?

kid klash said:

yeah , good call ..im checkin out prices in that right now ...the more i thought of it the more it soudned pretty rinky dink to paint it .. :p

i'd imagine there to be a couple of good webpages on reupholstering tolex on amps-it's quite doable if you take time and care doing it.

Back