Has Anyone Tried This ??

Major Tom

OK, I post a lot of replies, but very few new threads - now its my turn... A thought I just had:

Has anyone ever tried to construct the equivalent of a muliple amp setup for recording using modelling devices such as Pod, J Station etc.??

A couple ways come to mind: (3 to be exact)
1) Record a dry direct guitar track and then route that signal to, say, a Pod set on a clean blackface patch and then record the output for guitar track #1. Do that again with the Pod set on a slightly distorted Marshall patch, record to guitar track #2. A Vox patch for #3. etc.
2) Record the dry direct track, and then use multiple iterations of a software modeller like Revalver.
3) If you own 2 or more modelling amps - split your guitar's signal into a Pod, a J Station and a V-amp, recording each on a separate track.

Just curious. When I listen to stuff recorded with my J Station, it sounds ok, kinda like a real amp recorded with a mic, but one-dimensional. Each patch I have built or borrowed has some redeeming quality, but seems to lack something - for example I have a couple "Vox" patches that have some high end sparkle, but are a little too thin sounding. Others have a decent body, but no bite, etc., etc. A little bit of a clean amp patch mixed in with a mildly overdriven tone might help reduce some of that flatulent sounding distortion you get in that transition zone, for example. None have the "magic" of a real tube amp, of course, but it seems like a virtual multi-amp setup might get a little closer. Anyone ??

I have recorded a DI'd guitar, then sent it to two more tracks with each having a different model and was not too happy. Too much low end and just didn't feel right. I had it panned hard left and right, and only messed around for about 3 or 4 minutes before getting bored. (it was late at night after a lot of recording)

I sould try it again though soon. Good idea.

I've never tried it either, but I was thinking that if you mixed a clean, bright signal with a distorted one you might get some interesting results.

For the most part I'm happy with my J-Station, but when it comes to distortion it seem to be a little too much or almost enough. But, mixing them both might be the ticket.

Yeah, I was just replying to another thread - Modellers can get a decent clean tone, and maybe a passable full-on distortion, but their weakness IMHO is the mild overdrive stuff - "early" amp distortion. Gee, Firebird - 3 or 4 minutes huh? I might have finally met someone with less patience than myself...

I've blended amp sims quite a bit. What I have noticed is that you just can't blend two sims recorded direct and expect it to remove the DI edge that permeates throughout the tone (I'm talking about distorted guitars; I've never tried it with clean tones).

For me, in every case, the best electric sounds have been combinations of DI and mic'd guitar amps.

Cy

Kind of what

I was asking about in my cabling assistance therad. I want to be able to combine tracks from a couple of modelling tools (V-Amp, Genesis3, RP2100) and my midi guitar synth (Roland equipped Les Paul).

I can go into a mixer or into a 24-bit audio card.

BC

I am planning something along these lines, but it is rather unique as well:

Run my guitar into a mixer, send one "aux send" to my Fender Frontman 25R amp, mic it, and record it. But being a solidstate cheap amp, it doesn't always have quite the tone I want.

So, 2), I will send another aux send to my J-station, where I fiddle with a patch to get the closest tone I can to what I want .. this is the one I want to sound its absolute best, but like everyone using these modellers knows, it just has something "missing". I will record this one out of the S/PDIF output.

3) I record the direct line into the mixer clean, so I have this as a backup to try new patches out on the J if the first one isn't quite right.

Then I will edit the J's digital track to the best I can: a bit of subtractive EQ, some compression, some reverb, get it as close as I can to how I want it to sound. I can always reroute the dry track back into the J and alter the patch to taste if the EQ/Verb/Comp route doesn't get me there.

I then plan to "master" the mix with this guitar track in it, and listen in the car, home stereo etc. to see what is "missing" in the guitar. Then, I will do my best to shape the Fender Frontman amp recorded signal to fill this hole: on this track I will aggressively EQ it to shape it, and blend it with the J.

If this works, I will try to post something in the clinic in the near future (I have been saying this for a long time, though, but I just am not quite happy with anything enough to post it)

Major Tom said:
A couple ways come to mind: (3 to be exact)
1) Record a dry direct guitar track and then route that signal to, say, a Pod set on a clean blackface patch and then record the output for guitar track #1. Do that again with the Pod set on a slightly distorted Marshall patch, record to guitar track #2. A Vox patch for #3. etc.
2) Record the dry direct track, and then use multiple iterations of a software modeller like Revalver.
3) If you own 2 or more modelling amps - split your guitar's signal into a Pod, a J Station and a V-amp, recording each on a separate track.

Wow. You could have multiple tracks of shitty sounding amp modelling, lol.

You can get a used Fender Blues Jr or a Vox knock off for the same prices as a POD. Just about any little tube amp sounds better than a modeller.

Texas RK- I was waiting for a purist's response on this. I 've got 4 tube amps in the house, including a blackface Champ, but I also have an 8 month old baby...

Major Tom said:
Texas RK- I was waiting for a purist's response on this. I 've got 4 tube amps in the house, including a blackface Champ, but I also have an 8 month old baby...

Well the Champ was born first so..........

just kidding

Major Tom said:

You don't have a closet? Just stick the kid or amp in there and you're all set :D

I don't have a soundproof closet, and the last time I tried that the kid's screaming came thru on the track, dangit. I'm thinking about building an isolation chamber though, figure I can stick an SM-57 in there for the baby to play with...
:cool:

I have been intendending to rig some sort of sound-deadened corner in the basement for messin around with amps, but the Jstation is so convenient. I'm not making any commercial stuff anyway, just a hobby - more of a vehicle to write tunes.

Back