Has anyone tried this yet?

mbuster

It's called Har-Bal . It's a supposed "Mastering" app which is supposed to....well harmonically balance your mixes. It struck me as interesting, but the demo version restricts playback to 8bit. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with it.

I'd like to try it sometime. There was a big thread on PSW about it. The sonic balance stuff is kinda bullshit but what it does that is really cool is it allows you to A/B test different EQ and Comp settings and it will automatically adjust the volumes for the same apparent loudness. That is the only way to really compare different mastering adjustments and it's one of the hardest things for engineers to do.

That's exactly why I was intersted in it. I also thought that by using it, I could learn where my mixes may be having consistent problems, and using what har-bal told me, I could learn how to fix it at the source, eventually improving my mixes BEFORE attempting to "master".

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

I think I'll keep my eyes out for more reviews. I can't imagine this possibly replacing mastering, but it might be cool as a tool to find problem frequencies.

With a tool like this, who needs mixing even? Just set up two mics in a jam room, run it through this magic program and BAMM!!! - Perfect sound.

Fortunately for most of our careers, there's a lot more to producing audio than "harmonic balance".

Still, it would be nice to try and see what exactly it does do. Whatever it's measuring, it might be a useful tool.

Hey Guys - Don't panic you've still got jobs ! :D

I've got that thing and I like it a lot.

It'll read the wave file you input and supply you with a spectral view (8192 points) of the average and peak across the audio spectrum.

Next you get a cursor that'll allow you to push the EQ around however you like just like a parametric EQ that lets you select anywhere from the full spectrum down to about 1/10 octave. Any changes contribute to the new shape of the spectrum and you can make multiple chages till you get the shape you want.

Which parts of the curve should you 'push' around ? Well you can import a reference wave or use one of the references supplied. Heck you can even import pink noise if you want to simply apply a good old general +3dB/octave tilt to your wave.

One place where I might part with the creators is that you have to listen to what you're pushing around (I think the marketing hype might lead you to believe you only have to watch a picture). Last night I re-balanced an old cassette of a live show and when I lifted the bottom end to match a reference curve guess what - yep all the low end garbage came up too ! He He so it's like anything else if there is some good content at the frequency you're raising you can balance it - otherwise you've got to augment (I used Baxxpander to add some bass and it worked very well http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/491.html ).

It will show you resonances or valleys in your spectrum in a way similiar to an averaging or infinite peak spectrum analyzer. It doesn't work in real-time yet and it's not a plug in yet.

I think the support is very good also.

I like it as it gives me a different view of my audio along with different ideas and techniques.

Very Cool ! :cool:
kylen

Hi Garry,

I've got Voxengo Soniformer - it does some loudness and spectral 'rebalancing' using a type of 32-band dynamic processor. Even though with 32 bands it basically has 1/3 octave resolution it deals in wider octave user settings (like Lo End and High End) for the dynamics adjustments. A secondary effect of adjusting the dynamics also adjusts the EQ a bit.

Har-Bal makes its' loudness and spectral adjustments very directly via parametric EQ . It has a saturator you can push into a bit but that is a pretty minor feature of the product.

kylen

Back