has anyone heard matchless amps?

donkeystyle

i heard the samples on their website.......... www.matchlessamplifiers.com ............and i really really love the c30 samples. too bad they list for 3400 bucks and it doesn't look like they sell for much, if any less.

what are other peoples opinions of them?

A guy who plays guitar with me some has a Chieftan he takes everywhere with him. It's the 4-10 combo I think. Anyways, It is one of the greatest amps on the planet. There's a reason theyre so much $$. And if you notice, those who own them don't complain about how much $$ they are, only those who can't afford them. They're worth it. I have nothing bad to say about any of them I have played.

H2H

I thought everyone had heard of them?

They went out of business and they are now run by someone else.

The original guy that made them started up a company called Bad Cat. They look the same in most reguards. They probably sound the same too.

There was a used Matchless at a GuitarCenter by me once and there was a line about 4 people deep to play on it. That says something.

I can't say it sounded fantastic and that I wanted to make out with it, because it was Guitar Center and no one who was playing it had the balls to tell the guitar center fuckers to stfu and get fuck out of the store so we can turn this mother up. ...and I sure wan't about to sit around for my turn while the people played Top40 NuMetal hits. ;)

I've heard them and played though them and they (this was actually the BadCat amp not matchless, but they are, for all intensive purposes, the same) are very nice. that said I also got to hear/play through a Fulton Webb amp and they are much better. Bar none the best tube amp I've ever heard. Not cheap, but handmade in Austin, and worth every penny.

http://fultonwebb.com/

Yup, the Matchless guy is the founder of BadCat amps. I'm using a BadCat mini cat as my small, recording amp. I tried out every little tube amp I could get my hands on, like the Peavey Classic 30, the Fender Blues Jr, Fender Pro Jr, Ampeg amps, and even some more expensive hand-made jobs, but the BadCat was by far the most versatile, well-built, and jaw-droppingly tube-alicious! I'm still amazed at the sounds you can get out of this thing, and it's a very simple design with just one 12ax7 and an EL84 . I keep seeing these amps everywhere now...I recently noticed that Matchbox 20 is using them too.

The Matchless Amps are very nice.

If you are looking for a quality amp that costs a lot less than may I suggest the Gibson Goldtone amps. I played the Les Paul Jr. model the other day and it sort of reminded me of a Matchless. So, maybe you should try one.

I played thru a Matchless 30 I think it was...I didn't care for it .The lower mids were too pushed for me if that makes any sense..Different strokes :)

Back