Has anyone experience with the SE Gemini?

sixtiesman

I have just bought one of these and I'm interested in any experiences people may have had in using this microphone.

...I posted a similar thread about a week ago requesting any user experiences with the Cascade V55 tube mic (also manufactured by SE and sharing some of the same components as the SE tube mic variations) and received no responses...seems these mics have had limited exposure in the marketplace...I have read some very positive feedback on the Gemini (as well as the V55) on both Gearslutz.com and Recording.org...I'm curious to hear your impressions...

Reactions: NL5
To kidvybes and maestro dmc

Thanks for the interest. I was hoping for somebodys opinions on best setup
or pre amp to use and any tips through experience.

Somewhat ironic that you have asked me!!!!

Well.....you'll have to be patient!!! All I've done up to now is check that it works!! Sounded predicably good in the headphones.

I will be doing some recording over the next couple of weeks and I will post what I can describe!!!

I have other mics which would serve as reference points. The best ones being a TLM103, a SP T3 and a NT1.

Up to now I've liked the T3 best ( valve ) which is what tempted me to get the Gemini.

Well actually....I recorded some blues vocals at a friends studio. When I got the cdr I was amazed at the sound of the vocal. Easily the best recording I'd ever achieved of my voice! ( well I liked it !! ). I was led to believe it was a Gemini, although later on ( after I'd bought the gemini ) I found out it was a Z5600a....so they're good!!

I had never achieved that sound with my TLM103 !!!!

I'll let you know......................

...I can tell you that my Cascade V55 (built by SE sharing much in design with the SE5600) sounds absolutely amazing thru my Amek 9098...I did upgrade the tube (the Cascade comes with a very good vintage Mullard NOS CV4024/12AT7) to a vintage GE NOS 6072 5-star blackplate tube which did diminish the already low noise factor...this mic doesn't exhibit the typical high-end "sizzle" common to so many of the Chinese manufactured mics...very smooth with great bass presence...excellent vocal mic, though I haven't tried it on guitar cab or drum kit...my primary application is vocal tracking and I couldn't be happier with this mic at the price I paid...I purchased it from Telefunken USA (I bought 2 that they were offering on Ebay)...I suspect they were poking around inside trying to figure out why this mic sounds so good and sells for so little...I'm sure that the Gemini must be a piece of work...anxious to hear your feedback...

SE Gemini

To

kidvybes

maestro_dmc

I think I am going to let you down here....I have not had a great deal of time recently. All I have done, regretably, is sing a few verses of different songs against tracks I already had just as a test.

My other failing is not being able to describe the sound like some of you guys can!! However, here goes....

So...bearing in mind I haven't done anything serious....it does sound perfect
to me.. I have a TLM103 and it sounds "better" than that. The TLM103 is undoubtably good, but sounds thin by comparison with the Gemini. The Gemini sounds closer to my other valve mic the Studio Projects T3 only somehow better. Fatter, fuller, more natural, in your face...

It seems to lend itself perfectly to my vocal!! ( bluesy, soul ) but I haven't tried anybody else yet. The vocal really stands out and doesn't get swamped
by anything else. It's clear and seems to have that valve smoothness. It doesn't break up anywhere in the range. I can't imagine a better mic at this time...although I have not used the classics like the U87 U47 etc so I have not got them to compare. But at this time I am pleased that I have it and it is not going anywhere!!! ever!!

sixtiesman said:
So...bearing in mind I haven't done anything serious....it does sound perfect
to me.. I have a TLM103 and it sounds "better" than that. The TLM103 is undoubtably good, but sounds thin by comparison with the Gemini. The Gemini sounds closer to my other valve mic the Studio Projects T3 only somehow better. Fatter, fuller, more natural, in your face...

...the 2 tube design of the Gemini seems quite unusual...the 2nd tube replaces the more common output transformer (as in my V55 as well as the SE 5600)...so there are tubes employed on both input circuits and output as well...I also have the SP T3, and my Cascade (SE) V55 does sound somewhat similar to the T3 (as you noted about the Gemini)...I have been reading more and more positive reviews of the Gemini...most recently, the British audio publication Future Music awarded the Gemini it's 2006 Ace Award for best microphone, stating, "Providing outstanding high-end detail and sensitivity, the Gemini delivers a modern in-your-face sound with that elusive warmth and smoothness that only tubes can offer."
...I suspect the Gemini will continue to amaze you as you put it through it's paces...please update this thread as you further experiment with the mic...a sample file of solo vocal recording would be very much appreciated as well...Good Luck!

sample of gemini

To kidvybes

you requested a sample !

two mics here, one on the guitar, a sound projects t3 and the gemini on vocals.

sixtiesman said:
To kidvybes

you requested a sample !

...Really Nice!...feeling that...Dave Edmunds would approve!...mics sound great...thanks for the effort, the time, and the great musical vibes!...

sixtiesman said:

sixtiesman...any chance you could take a few pictures of the Gemini's interior circuitry and post them on this thread?...really curious to see how the 2 tubes are mounted (can you easily swap out the tubes?) and what the PCBs look like...I believe the Cascade V55 shares the same capsule design...thanks for the effort in putting up the sample clip!...

Back