Has anyone ever built a studio out of an arched steel building?

Same basic shape as Sjoko's barn facility, $5600 bucks for structure is pretty decent...Building permits are probably rubber stamps. Sounds like a plan barefoot, when Ya moving in? Can I call you Gomer Pyle...look like military barracks too!

SoMm

Yeah, I mean, you know, you could build a studio out of cardboard if you wanted to. :p

Seems to me, that a building like that, without major modifications, probably wouldn't sound too good though. Although those buildings are parabolic in shape, rather than circular, the shape closely resembles a semi-circle.

Rule #1 in studio construction: No paralell walls. Circles are infinitely paralell. That's bad.

Also, the side "walls", if modified to give you a decent height, would dramatically decrease your useable building footprint.
$5600 may sound cheap, but when you start making all the necessary modifications, it may be better to look into more standard construction.

Just some thoughts. You asked!

I just discovered

www.polysteel.com

last weekend at a home show. STC 52 walls with just one 1/2" sheetrock layer. The thicker ones probably even better. They GUARANTEE at least 33% lower heating bills than 2x6 frame construction.

The forms are 16" x 48", they interlock, you have 1-1/2" metal strips every 12" to fasten siding/cabinets/sheet rock to, and they meet class 4 earthquake specs. Cost just slightly higher than 2x6 stud frame construction, ASSUMING that you had each type built by outside help.

I'm thinking RC on the inside and a couple layers of 5/8 sheetrock, and end of sound proofing. Anything else inside would be strictly for acoustics/isolation.

The guy I talked to at their booth claimed they had done some studios in the NW area, but I haven't gotten the chance to contact him again for details... Steve

Micheal,
From a reflection standpoint circles generally are bad, but from a modal distribution perspective they are superior to parallel wall construction. I'm thinking one could come up with a clever inner wall construction that solves the reflective issues but takes advantage of the modal properties.

Steve,
Yes, this type of construction has been discussed here before. Someone mentioned the generic name for it, "insulated concrete form construction" or something similar. And as I recall, someone might have also provided links to pictures of a studio under construction. Yeah, this would probably be an outstanding material for studio building.

barefoot

I reckon it would work and at a decent price - you could build whatever you like inside as there are no pillars which are usually a major problem.

cheers
John

John Sayers said:
I reckon it would work and at a decent price - you could build whatever you like inside as there are no pillars which are usually a major problem.

cheers
John

PILLARS SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry :)

Back