Has anyone else heard this

mocharock

I had a guitar teacher many many years ago that told me (after I bought my first brand new guitar) that if I put the guitar in the stand and place it in front of my stero turn it on when I am not at home. Basically it will help break in the guitar and help to mature the sound. The sound waves basically vibrate the strings when the same not that the string is tuned to is played. So it is basically playing the guitar all the time. It makes sense to me...

Any other ideas? Thoughts?

Sounds weird, but its true. Why do you think older instruments sound better than newer axes of similar wood etc?
Simply, as the vibrations pass through the wood, they realign the internal fibers. Notice that wood instruments are built with the grain going lengthwise. The vibrations travel down these "highways". The vibrating strings on your axe on the stand will behave as if its being played (in terms of this effect).
Sounds funny, I know. But it works. Give it a try.

Yes, I have heard this from a couple of sources (without any scientific proof), but never tried it myself. I just bought a sweet little Samick PRS-ish solidbody, I might go ahead and try it in the next few weeks. I have only played it for a few hours, but I think I can already hear a subtle difference- the unwound strings seem to have a little more midrange/woody character. Then again, it might be my imagination... I have also heard that if you don't play an already broken-in instrument for an extended period of time, that it will need some "re-break-in" to return to its former state.

See I understand the physics of the whole thing, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried it. I have before, and really did not see too much of a difference.

Now where did that rumor come from about putting new strings in the freezer?

Given that a 30 year old Martin took 30 years to break in, it would probably take a little bit long than just a week or two in front of your stereo. Maybe 10 years....plus playing it.

Back