Has anybody Used Antares Autotune?

Mixman

Hi everyone
i've just bought an antares auto tune Atr-1a but i cant seem to get it to work on vocals properly any expert out there that can give me advise i dont really know how to find what key the vocals are to make the antares work. Heeelp!!

not eveil to me ;)

You either love it or hate it. Does witchcraft and things like that.
Mixman, in the scale menu, just choose "equal tempered chromatic scale" This will work for 99% of your needs. Then in the box below it, just choose the key that the song is in. Simple as that. It works, but it can be fooled, so make sure you like the results BEFORE you save that effect to the track. I messed up awile back by using it on some harmony tracks, not auditioning them close enough before I closed out the project, and I had to re-do a couple of them because the Auto Tune had overcorrected in a couple of spots. But this is a damn good plugin if you don't have any bias against modern technology. Pulled my booty out of a jam a couple of times already.
Remember, it will only work on single note information. Vocal, guitar lead, bass, etc. And single tracks. It won't work on a stereo signal, obviously. No chords or multiple insruments, it will just freak out and your computer will blow up!
Not really, but it could be massively ugly.....then again, now that I think about it, might be cool to try for a new effect! BREAK THE RULES!!!! YEAH!

I use the auto tune also, and the advice above is good as far as just using a chromatic scale. If your singer is more than 1/4 step off, it's going to pull them to a wrong note. Actually though, this isn't such a bad thing. At least it's a note instead of something in between 2 notes! I usually just go with it and then go into Sound Forge and pull the note back to where it's supposed to be. It makes things a lot easier because instead of having to figure out how many cents to move the note it's always just an even 1/2 step off. You still gotta have at least a reasonably in tune vocal track, or you'll spend hours editing. You better either be getting paid a lot, or find a new singer. If you don't know the tunes and have at least a little musical background, it's probably not a good tool for you.

Back